Solved

v11SP16 upgrade to v11SP24: What is the "Database Upgrade Tool" included in the "v11 Download Manager with Feature Release 24"

• 26 July 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

I noticed the "v11 Download Manager with Feature Release 24" indicates it comes with a few items:

• Microsoft SQL 2019 software for the CommServe® Database Engine
  • Database Upgrade Tool

I have two questions:

1. My MSSL DB on the Commserve is MSSQL 2014 (as it is v11 SP16).  I know I need to upgrade this to MSSQL 2019, but am going to do it after updating to v11SP24 (possibly doing a hardware refresh as part of the DB update). just curious: Can I use the “Database Upgrade Tool” to perform the upgrade or is it more of “tool for support” ?  I believe I read on the forums that upgrading the MSSQL DB isn’t the best way, and its easier to just install a new SP24 CommServe to get MSSQL 2019. I can do this, just wondering about the tool.
  2. When I install the software in the “v11 Download Manager with Feature Release 24” (after upgrading my Commserve to SP24. I need this to build an SP24 package for a second console), is it going to cleanly “update” the previous old SP16 “Download Manager” install/files, of should I do some manual cleanup/deleting of folders (uninstall, etc)? 
  3. I assume installing "v11 Download Manager with Feature Release 24" in a SP24 Commserve with MSSQL 2014 its not going to want to (or require) an update my Commserve 2014 MSSQL database to build installable packages… or is it?
icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 26 July 2022, 23:34

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The Database Upgrade Tool is used to upgrade databases to newer versions (like when doing a hardware refresh):

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/57541_updating_server_packages_using_database_upgrade_tool_windows.html

To fully upgrade SQL versions, you need to do a hardware refresh with a newer release:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/essential/142604_upgrading_microsoft_sql_server_editions_on_commserve_computer.html

To answer your questions:

1. Follow the above link for a fresh install.  install fresh on a Win2019 server with 11.24 or 11.28 (aka 2022E)
  2. Once you have a new CS installed, run download software to make sure you have the absolute latest, but you should be fine with an upgraded cache
  3. no, if you upgrade as is, you’ll stay with 2014 (though that might change in the future)

Let me know if that helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Here’s a thread where this came up:

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Thanks!  So this is a tool you use when you build a new commserve ( say it has MSSQL 2019, as this appears to be a default install on the newer/latest versions), and then you need to import your old, possibly non MSSQL 2019 (or just older) Commserve MSSQ database into the new install.

I have no idea why I didn’t see the link to the docs when I was searching for "Database Upgrade Tool"… I probably was in older docs/urls searching.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You got it right.

In the new search engine, check the version dropdown up top right.  The engine is tweaked to default answers to that version.

Let me know if that covers everything 🤓

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

That covers it all. Thanks!