Solved

VM backup order / sequence

• 28 July 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

Hi,

I need to backup virtual machines in specific order (this is VMware streaming backup with application-aware Active Directory). Is any possibility to do that, except creating subclient and schedule for every single VM?

For now I have multiple VMs in one subclient. I think I can set 1 data reader in that subclient and Commvault will backup in some sequence, but how to set this sequence? Because I don’t know if Commvault choose VM to backup randomly or in alphabetical order maybe?

Commvault 11.24

Regards

icon

Best answer by Scott Moseman 28 July 2022, 17:42

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Use different subclients/vm groups with differentiating schedules/plans or in case it is vm-centric (indexv2) leverage a script that triggers a VM-level/instance backup.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/32272_vm_dispatch_and_proxy_selection_for_vmware_backups.html

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Depending on how many VMs are in your Subclient, you could assign Job Priorities.  Between 1 Data Reader and Job Priorities you should be able to get them to backup in order.

However I think the job priorities only go 0-9 so you’ll be limited to 10 VMs in this method.  I don’t believe I have heard of any other approach short of careful scheduling of the subclients.

Thanks,
Scott