Solved

VM File level restore create new destination folder

• 7 February 2022
  • 6 replies

HI team, I would like to check on the VM file level restore via FREL, the restored file is not being placed in exactly what destination i have provided from the job- instead it creates a new folder called “Volumegroup” and it follows the destination path which i gave from the job and the data is being restored there? may i know is this a right behavior to create a folder ”volumegroup” automatically? could it be due to LVM disk this mounts and creates a folder like this? pls help

icon

Best answer by Ashok Somasundaram 16 March 2022, 09:07

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi Ashok,

The depth of the paths that end up getting restored is determined by the preservation settings configured in the restore options window.

From what you are describing, it appears that you are restoring the entire path including the root level node.

Could you please attempt another file-level restore, this time under Preserve Source Paths, select “Remove” and set the value to 1:

Let us know how you go with that.

Hi @Peter Kalinic , @Mike Struening 

Thankyou for the update. Still my issue is same after applying your suggestion. let me elaborate my issue with an instance,

Let say my details,

Source path : aaa/bbb/ccc

Destination path: aaa/bbb/ccc

When i trigger my restore, the data is being placed in the following way,

aaa/bbb/ccc/VolumeGroup/aaa/bbb/ccc

and thats were the issue is - its not directly getting restored on the “ccc” path as shown above, instead it creates a folder name “Volumegroup” and repeats the destination path inside. And to access the “Volumegroup” folder - it needs root access.

I tried your suggestion with increasing the value to 3 on “remove” - still no effect.

Can you find if this is abnormal? appreciate your help on this! Thankyou!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Ashok Somasundaram , to confirm, if you remove 1-3 levels from the restore, it has no effect?

If that is the case, open up a support incident for this (and share the case number here for tracking).

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Ashok Somasundaram , were you able to open a support case for this (or resolve it on yopur end)?

Thanks!

HI @Mike Struening , no we didn't raise a case, instead we tried to select the contents inside the folder instead the whole folder. It was restored as expected. Thankyou for your suggestions!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Glad to hear it!