Solved

VMWare ELM (Enhanced Linked Mode)

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi !

We have 2 VCenter servers, let’s say VCenterA and VCenterB, each managing different VirtualDatacenters with multiple ESXi hosts on multiple sites, each hosting hundreds of VMs.

We are using only one Commserve to backup the VMs hosted on each of the VCenters, and I have created a VMWare VSA client for VCenterA, and another one for VCenterB.

Today my VMWare admin is telling me he would like to quickly use the VMWare Enhanced Linked Mode to be able to centralize his VCenters’ administration, perform operations between both VCenters like enhanced vMotion, and so on.

I have searched the CV documentation site for ELM keyword or Enhanced Linked Mode, but found no result.

What I fear is that after linking both VCenters, this would have an impact on the way my Commserve would report the VMs, being then able to ‘see’/discover the VMs of VCenterA in my VSA client for VCenterB, and see the VMs of VCenterB in my VSA client of VCenterA, for example.

Has anyone experienced such operation ?

I’m beeing very cautious on this, as I wouldn’t want to reconfigure in an urge all my VSA clients if this could have an impact.

If any Vaulter from VSA team (or anyone else, that’s the purpose of this community😁) can dig this, it would help me a lot 😃

Regards,

Laurent.

icon

Best answer by Onno van den Berg 10 May 2022, 16:40

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

As far as I know you will not run into issues, especially when the configuration is set already. VM's are still registered on a specific vCenter server. Linking them together just makes life easier from a management point of view. B.t.w. this mode is used when you leverage VMware VCF which you seeing more and more in the wild nowadays. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hello @Laurent 

This will not matter. As long as user accounts and permissions are changed (which they usually aren’t when linked) all will be well.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi and thanks for your quick answer @Onno van den Berg and @Dan White.

Hello @Laurent 

This will not matter. As long as user accounts and permissions are changed (which they usually aren’t when linked) all will be well.

Just to confirm what you wrote: ‘are changed’ or ‘are not changed’ ?

I would assume that each VCenter would remain unchanged in terms of rights granted to my dedicated commvault accounts. But I’ll check with my VMWare admin if he’s got some permissions review in his planned operation mode.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Post operation validation : no change, that’s great ! 😎

Thanks !