Solved

Vmware restore - Remove In Place and undconditional overwrite

• 3 December 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi all.

I would like to restrict my restore users, so that they cannot restore on top of a running Vmware server. I always want them to restore to a new server name, so somebody cannot destroy a running working server.

Would it be possible to remove the In Place restore option when restoring a vmware server, and force the users to restore to a new server name.

And when restoring to a new server name, would it be possible to remove the option to do a unconditional overwrite so that a user cannot overwrite a running server?

Thanks.

-Anders

icon

Best answer by Anand Lunawat 6 December 2021, 15:28

View original

6 replies

Badge +3

You may be able to do a custom role and remove the right for “In Place Recover” “In Place Full Machine Recovery” and Overwrite on Restore”

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @ApK ,

Do you have a role assigned to the users that you want to restrict? - I would suggest removing the following permissions:

• In Place Recover

• In Place Full Machine Recovery

• Overwrite on restore

Refer to the Documentation links below:

Security Configuration: https://documentation.commvault.com/11.22/essential/87204_security_configuration_for_virtualization.html

Managing Roles: https://documentation.commvault.com/11.22/essential/86846_managing_roles.html

Best Regards,
Michael

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi @Terry I and @MichaelCapon .

That was my own thoughts, but if I remove the “Overwrite on restore” my guess would be, that I remove it from all kinds of restore methods like removing the possibility to overwrite a SQL, file, Oracle etc.and that is not an option.

Badge

Hi APK,

Are you trying with admin user or end user ? 

Also removing the “In Place Full Machine Recovery” should work fine for Full VM restore.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

@Anand Lunawat I have created a Backup & Restore role for end users so they are only able to do a backup and a restore, but I would like them not to be able to overwrite a running vm

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@ApK , can you confirm that @Anand Lunawat ‘s suggestion was not adequate?

Thanks!