Solved

VMware snapshot backup with different retention time of the data

• 13 September 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hello,

I got following request:

Backup VMs with retention of 45 days, for all log files we need a retention of 5 years. (Windows and Linux)

Any idea how I can easy configure such requirement? If possible without install a agent.

We are running V11SP24.56, vmware snapshot is configured with index V1.

regards Juergen

icon

Best answer by Urosa 13 September 2022, 16:45

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Good Morning,

Could you provide us additional details on the request to protect “All Log files”?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Juergen , can you confirm what you mean by Log Files?  You should be able to set different retentions depending on certain factors, though I’m not sure what you mean by log files for vm snapshots.

Thanks!

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

@Urosa  and @Mike Struening 

for Windows the event logs, and for Linux /var/log directory

Juergen

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

@Juergen ,

If you are looking to extend the retention for the logs it would be recommended for the installation of the agent as you can separate the content as an example “System State” for a longer retention.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/essential/87310_what_is_backed_up_for_windows_file_servers.html

Since you are using the VSA Agent the entire VM is protected and we can’t specify the content to be protected.

May I know the specific reason why the need to extend or protect only the system logs?

Regards,

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

This could be possible when windows events/linux logs are allocated on dedicated disks and binaries on dedicated disks, then you can make 2 backup sets with different storage policy associations and back them up individually with their own subclient config (disk filters). But this will result in snapshotting the VM twice and not sure if this results in CBT issues.

Agents as @Urosa described are the safest method and controllable in a transparant manner.