Solved

VSA Support for oVirt on KVM (OLVM)

• 2 February 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Hello,

I would like to know if the information on proxy supported OSes is correct on the below doc:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/31916_virtual_server_agent_support_for_ovirt_on_kvm.html

It feels strange since RHEL 8.X is not listed. Even Oracle Linux is not listed.

On the other hand, if I go to the RHV system requirements, it states that OEL, RHEL 8.x, etc are supported as Linux proxies: https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/essential/107801_red_hat_virtualization_system_requirements.html

Since both solutions RHV and OLVM share the same virtualization framework, I believe that I could go with the RHV linux proxy requirements. Is that correct?

Regards,

icon

Best answer by wgrande 8 February 2023, 17:33

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @PedroRocha 

I know there are some OS versions, such as rhel 8, which are not published as viable VSA options yet in documentation for certain hypervisors.

There are, most of the time, valid reasons for not showing this OS.

That doesn't mean certain OS versions won't work, but they might need some additional configuration to ensure proper functionality.

Unless someone here knows if it works for rhel 8, you should validate with support if this is supported for your setup. This way you will prevent support issues in the future.

That being said, in my opinion I believe you are correct and I expect it to work if you have a repository available to install packages such as Mono during the Commvault installation.

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Yes. I would like to have this answer before the project start.. 

This thread is similar. Some said the docs would be fixed, but still apparently has inconsistencies.

@Bhama and @Mike Struening has any clue?

Regards,

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Hello, does anyone know this?

@Bhama , @Mike Struening , @Brian Bruno , @Sebastien Merluzzi , @Zubair Ahmed Sharief 

Thanks in advance.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @PedroRocha ,

Can you please provide a feedback or send an email so Development can review and get back to you please?

Best Regards,

Sebastien

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi @PedroRocha,

Apologies, I’m not aware of this.  @wgrande has this come up in any of the VSA meetings by chance?

-Brian Bruno

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

I went ahead and submitted a DOC Feedback for this so you don’t need to, as oVirt on KVM (OLVM) does essentially support the same Access Node operating system versions as RHEV. That page has only had a minor change over the years so its definitely just a documentation overlook. If you run into any issues leveraging RHEL 8, please do raise a support case and reference this thread 😁

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

I went ahead and submitted a DOC Feedback for this so you don’t need to, as oVirt on KVM (OLVM) does essentially support the same Access Node operating system versions as RHEV. That page has only had a minor change over the years so its definitely just a documentation overlook. If you run into any issues leveraging RHEL 8, please do raise a support case and reference this thread 😁

Thank you very much for all the responses!

So it's ok to use the OSes listed for RHEV access nodes in an OLVM environment? And if any issue arise, I'll contact support.

Regards,

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Yes you can 😃