Solved

VSphere File Shares Backup

• 29 April 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge +2

This is a request for information on best practices and general overview. We are in the process of migrating from our existing file share to VSphere File Shares. There doesn’t appear to be a lot of information since this is a new service from VMware.

I believe the best way is to deploy the file system agent to each of the fs share nodes that VSphere created. Since these are Photon OS, the Linux tar file should still be correct

^Looking for confirmation or elaboration on both of those points!

I found this article referencing NFS shares, but mine are SMB and its response link with the VEEAM add in but it’s not a great correlation with my issue 

Vmware Vsan NFS share | Community (commvault.com)

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 6 July 2022, 22:53

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

I would actually recommend the regular Network Share Backup as described here.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/92613_network_share.html

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/92627_performing_backups_for_cifs_shares.html

This would be totally aside from your VSA Client and would allow for you to basically do INC and SYN.

Badge +2

This is working for my CIFS shares but not NFS… None of the NFS 4.1 (or 3.0 when added) shares would back up. It treats the access nodes as servers, even has the normal Linux file structure data, but not the shares. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

What errors do you get while backing up NFS shares?

Badge +2

I am actually not getting any errors. It’s even backing up, it’s just a Linux file structure but no VSphere/vSAN File Shares to be found.. It’s like they’re not actually on the ESX file service nodes…

We added NFS 3 support to our existing NFS 4.1 and the export paths also display two different nodes which is really tripping me up. I know that this is a lack of knowledge on my part, I think I may need to go to vmware support for this….

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Need more information about how this is actually configured, the backups should be taken from the pseudo-client not the nodes themselves.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Jessica.Johnson , were you able to get this resolved?

Let us know if you found any more on your end.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Adding final update to incident for this issue:

The content must contain each share you want to backup.

This way when you browse you will see each share.