Question

we are getting error in The SCSI command to drive is stuck on the active drive controlling mediagent

• 5 March 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi Team,

I have getting an error in Our Commvault backup infra as follows below 

"The SCSI command to drive is stuck on the active drive controlling media agent”

Please advice on this case

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Good morning.  The error being seen relates to an issue with the tape library or the OS on the MediaAgent that it is attached to.  I would recommend to reboot the tape library as well as the MediaAgent.   Update this thread with the results please.

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi Orazan,

Greetings!!!!

We have facing this issue in daily, Then we daily rebooted the Tape library and media agent.

This is only for temporary solution

Please give me any permenant solution for this above issue.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @Adarsh.op and @Orazan ! Can you please share with us how the issue ‘’The SCSI command to drive is stuck on the active drive controlling mediagent’’ was resolved? Unfortunately, we are facing exactly the same incident, but restarting media agent and rebooting and reconfiguring the tape library didnt help.

Badge

Hi @Adarsh.op and @Orazan ! Can you please share with us how the issue ‘’The SCSI command to drive is stuck on the active drive controlling mediagent’’ was resolved? Unfortunately, we are facing exactly the same incident, but restarting media agent and rebooting and reconfiguring the tape library didnt help.

I have the same issue with LTO-9 Tapes and after I read this article https://www.quantum.com/globalassets/products/tape-storage-new/lto-9/lto-9-quantum-faq-092021.pdf I think the Tapes are in Calibration.

Badge

Hello, I am facing the same problem. Rebooting the Media Agent and Library Daily is not an option for me. 

Has anyone managed to fix this problem ? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hello @Adarsh.op 

What options for SCSI are selected? You may want to review and see if disabling SCSI reservation helps.  Please test the suggestion before applying the same on prod envs. 

Library Properties (Drive) (commvault.com) - search for SCSI

Badge

The selected option for SCSI Reservation was “Use SCSI Reservations for drive operations - Use SCSI-2 Reserve for contention resolution”. 

I cleared the selection and rebooted boh the Library and then the Media Agent. Now everything seems to be OK but I’ll come back in a couple of days to corfirm that this change fixed the problem. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @DWa! Thank you for your contribution.

Indeed, you are right, our issue with tape drive went offline (offline reason - The SCSI command to drive is stuck on the active drive controlling mediagent) was caused by new LTO9 tapes, that need some extra time to be initialized for the first time. Unfortunately, each new tape needs this extra time and therefore we had to adjust scsi timeouts in the backup software. We have followed following procedure:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/146394_setting_timeout_durations_to_support_lto9_drive_characterization.html

I think this one can be marked as solved. Maybe it would be worth considering writing a dedicated knowledge base article, as it could be quite a common issue!

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

I need to throw my hat into this as well.  We’re having to deconfigure and reconfigure tape drives (at a cost, with robot, of over $40k) on a daily basis.  These are LTO9s and I’ve set CV to allow 2 hours-till-ready (as LTO9s need setting up the first time, of course). 

I’ve impleneted Zubair Ahmed Vaulter’s SCSI recommendation above.

I’ve reset the drives.

The problem remains.  The only way to get them to function for the next 24 hours (if that) is to deconfigure them and reconfigure.  Anyone else have any ideas?