Question

what is the best practice to update snmpd.conf file with list of process for Commserve and Media Server

• 22 November 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

HI

I would like to update snmpd.conf file with list of commvault process ( for Commserve and MA & VSA). this is just for monitoring purpose.

Is there any documentation on how to set these process with max and min values in snmpd.conf file.

#COMMVAULT Commserve

cvlaunchd
cvd
QSDK
Tomcat
cvmongodb
CvMessageService
CvWorkflowEngine
cvfwd
ClMgrS
CvMountd
WebServerCore
EvMgrS
JobMgr
AppMgrSvc
MediaManager

#COMMVAULT Media Sever/VSA

cvlaunchd
cvd
cvfwd
ClMgrS
CvMountd
IndexingService_cleanup

Thanks & Regards
Leena

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Leena,

Not aware of any guides but I can at least tell you the processes that should always be running. The dynamic processes could be zero or hundreds, depending on number of jobs running, so its probably not worth monitoring unless too many processes spawn or get stuck, but I’d say that's reasonably rare.

CommServe (Min 1, Max1 unless you have CommServe Live Sync installed for DR which is multi-instanced).

cvd
QSDK
CvMessageService
CvWorkflowEngine
cvfwd
CvMountd
MediaManager
Tomcat
EvMgrS
JobMgr
AppMgrSvc
cvmongodb

Media Agents / VSA (min 1, max 1)

cvd
cvfwd
ClMgrS
CvMountd

Badge +2

@Damian Andre thanks for your quick response.
Just to let you know, for Netbackup, this is how we usually configure in snmpd.conf file… “bprd” is a process that runs with every backup job ...so was looking for something similar for commvault as well...

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Ah got it - I think we may have way more processes involved in a backup than NB - for example a single job on a Media Agent will run createindex and update index during various phases of the job - plus a persistent indexing process which dynamically spawns (its not 1:1 per job but more like every three jobs spawn a new one etc.).