Question

Why does Aux copy tape job have Error Code: [13:187], "Some backup jobs are skipped because they are aged on destination copy or marked do not copy"

• 22 March 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

I’ve read up a bit and I’m not quite understanding why I’m seeing this error sometimes…

Basically, we have the copies and retention for this policy set up like this:

primary copy → secondary → to-tape

copy: Retention Days,Full Cycles,Archiver Retention Days,Extended Retention (Rule,days,grace days) ,Data Aging

primary:14,1,infinite, n/a, n/a, Enabled

secondary:7,1, infinite, (Monthly Full/60/0), Enabled

to-tape: infinite, infinite, infinite, n/a, Enabled

Note: “to-tape” is a selective copy, “Monthly Fulls” → last full

Note: We do have this setting set to 1: Media management → Data Ageing → “Disable jobs for Auxillary Copy that have met its retention”

Questions:

We are seeing the [13:187] error occur when running “to-tape”. How can it be “skipped because they are aged on destination copy” if the destination copy (tapes) retention is “infinite”?

Additionally, we do not generally manually mark jobs as “do not copy”.  I can sort of see “aged on the source copy” if we were way behind in running “to-tape” and the “(Monthly Full/60/0)” rule expired on the secondary?

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi @tigger2 ,

Good day!

The jobs that are skipped might have marked as do not copy or the jobs will instantly age once when they are copied over to the destination. Hence, that's why its choosing not to copy them.

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

@Arunkumar P :  If my tape retention is ‘infinite’ and the jobs have not been written to tape yet (as they are the ones being written to tape) …. they aging (somehow) before writing to tape (even though it indicates “aged on destination”)?  We don't normally mark anything ‘do not copy” unless we are trying to fix an issue and these messages have occurred kinda randomly.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi @tigger2 - I would recommend logging a case with us to check further on this issue. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

ok. When I get another one and have a fresh job ID for logs to be sent I’ll do that.