Solved

Windows Installation Package with param file

• 18 January 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hello,
according to : Installing a Windows Custom Package Configured as a Self-Extracting Executable File (commvault.com) 
It should be possible to use the /play parameter with the selfextracting CustomPackage.exe

Note: If you want to use a custom answer file during the installation, add the argument /play install.xml to the above command, where install.xml is the name of the custom answer file in the custom package

This doesn’t work for me. It is simply ignored and the installation is playing the install.xml included in the package.exe.

Any idea, how to update the install.xml contained in the .exe or add some parameters, like the gateway to be used during client registration, from the commandline ?

Can you tell me how to get an alternate / addiional install.xml into the package.exe ? (if this is required here)
Simply using 7zip is not working für me here.

I’m currently using V11.25.14

The only other option I see is to either create selfextracting packages for every possible target environment or unpack the archive and run setup.exe with additional command, which works for me as well, but requires more steps to implement.

BR
Klaus

icon

Best answer by johanningk 19 January 2022, 14:05

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @johanningk , can you share the contents of your xml and the log files?

Sharing this link for anyone following:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/57500_customizing_answer_file_of_windows_custom_package.html

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi Mike,
I create a custom package and include it to the WinX64.exe.
in previous versions, I was able to add multiple gateways for CommServe registration.
since SP20 (or FR21, don’t remember), only one gateways can be added to the package.
to enable the use of only one package within multiple network islands, I need to pass the gateway to use during the installation, or I have to create multiple packages (of 300MB each) only addressing different gatways. This must be maintaned with each FR update …. (and not commandline available to create custompackages that differ only one at parameter. Always have to run the setup.exe and flipp through the dialog)

Passing the proxyhost when excuting Setup.exe is not a problem and works fine.
The modified installKJ.xml contains adjusted entries in the CommServeInfo and proxyInfo section.

I’m not able to add multiple install.xml into the WinX64.exe, to be selected during installation.
I know how to use a installation package with parameter after it has been extracted to a filesystem structure, but I’m missing the abilty to do the same with Selfextracting package.

Running the installation with one of the following commands did not work as expected.
PS I:\V11.25_Instance001> .\WinX64.exe /silent /install /silent /proxyhostname 10.1.1.10
PS I:\V11.25_Instance001> .\WinX64.exe /silent /install /play "I:\V11.25_Instance001\installKJ.xml" /silent
PS I:\V11.25_Instance001> .\WinX64.exe /silent /play "I:\V11.25_Instance001\installKJ.xml" /silent

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<CVInstallManager_ClientSetup requestType="1" Operationtype="0" requestFlags="0" LocaleID="0" Focus="Instance001">

<CommServeInfo networkGateway="10.2.1.10:8408">

<CommserveHostInfo hostName="@@COMMSERVE@@" clientName="@@COMMSERVE@@" />

</CommServeInfo>

<installFlags installLatestServicePack="1" showFirewallConfigDialogs="1" skipConfigureMigrationAssistant="1" autoRegister="0" unixGroupAccess="7" skipConfigureLaptopBackupMonitor="1" useNewOS="0" restoreOnlyAgents="0" killBrowserProcesses="0" install32Base="0" disableOSFirewall="0" decoupledInstall="0" RepairMode="0" launchConsole="0" deletePackagesAfterInstall="0" useExistingDump="0" unixOtherAccess="7" stopOracleServices="0" install64Base="0" cleanupExistingInstance="1" upgradeMode="0" preferredIPFamily="1" launchRegisterMe="0" skipConfigureProcessManager="0" ignoreJobsRunning="0" forceReboot="0" overrideClientInfo="0" activateAllUserProfiles="0">

<firewallInstall httpProxyConfigurationType="0" enableFirewallConfig="1" firewallConnectionType="2">

<proxyInfo hostName="10.2.1.10" portNumber="8408" />

</firewallInstall>

</installFlags>

best Regards
Klaus

Badge +2

Just a side note… You can use multiple gateways if you separate them with a semicolon, for example hostname1:port;hostname2:port.

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

hey, cool.
that worked for my current setup. Just tested it.
I now added all of the 6 possible gateways within my current environment and it simply created a FwConfig.txt with all 6 gateways. Once one of them is reachable, the client registration continues and final network topology replaces the FwConfig.txt with the valid one for the target zone.

I have another environment, where new Companies with there own set of gateways are poping up.
this is simply handled by passing the authcode and gateway to use during the installation.
There we are currently using a zip file with the custom package, extract it, run setup.exe with required parameter and delete the temporary folder.

using the selfextracting package removes the requirent to unpack and cleanup during the installation.
Therefore I thought, this might be nice to use.

BR
Klaus

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

For package creation you can also leverage a form located on the cloud portal → https://cloud.commvault.com/webconsole/forms/

Could make life a bit easier!