Solved

Changing storage policy for a subclient

• 3 August 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hello,

I have a simple question. Is it safe to change storage policy for a subclient? Is there any data loss posibility? Do remain old data in the old storage policy?

I am asking because I need to temporarily change disk library to tape library and because data are not synchronized it is not possible to promote secondary copy to primary.

icon

Best answer by Stuart Painter 3 August 2021, 14:12

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @drPhil 

You can change the storage policy for a client.

New backup data will be directed to the new storage policy, but old backup data will remain in the previous storage policy until the jobs meet retention criteria that is configured.

Likewise, when you come to move the storage policy back again any new data/jobs that are written to the tape library will be retained on tape until they meet retention.

For auditing purposes, a change in storage policy is also recorded in Audit Trail, so you can run Audit Trail report and filter on client, subclient or types of events to see any changes that are made.

For example, when the time comes to change the storage policy back, you can run Audit Trail report to ensure that all temporary changes made now are reverted back later.

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @drPhil 

You can change the storage policy for a client.

New backup data will be directed to the new storage policy, but old backup data will remain in the previous storage policy until the jobs meet retention criteria that is configured.

Likewise, when you come to move the storage policy back again any new data/jobs that are written to the tape library will be retained on tape until they meet retention.

For auditing purposes, a change in storage policy is also recorded in Audit Trail, so you can run Audit Trail report and filter on client, subclient or types of events to see any changes that are made.

For example, when the time comes to change the storage policy back, you can run Audit Trail report to ensure that all temporary changes made now are reverted back later.

Thanks,

Stuart

Great! Thanks  @Stuart Painter  for your help!

Badge +4

Hi @Stuart Painter , Sorry for spamming to the old post.. I happen to go through documentation and the above said comments on effect on client jobs when moved to new SP.. Believe Cycles will be ignored and only the extended retention are considered from old SP as per below Doc.. Is my understanding is correct

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/11977_data_aging_frequently_asked_questions.html

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Prem , cycles will be ignored and only Days and Extended Retention will take effect, though we will hold the last full until a new one runs on the new SP.

Badge +4

Thanks @Mike Struening .. Just wanted to double confirm  this :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

All good, @Prem !  I’m always here :nerd: