Solved

Commcell Migration

• 1 February 2023
  • 9 replies

Badge +3

Hi,

Please guide how can we change commcell ID without migrating anything on the same commcell console.

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Ledoesp 2 February 2023, 16:33

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi Rahul, 

The CommCell ID is tied into licensing and support agreements - it is not something that is readily changeable. I am curious as to what the use case is for wanting to change it?

Niall

Badge +7

Hi Rahul,

I’ve got to ask what is the outcome you’re hoping for by doing this? The CommCell ID is provided as part of the licensing and is unique to your organisation.

When you say “without migrating anything” are we referring to Commserve LiveSync failover? Or are we talking about setting up a brand new CommCell environment and keeping the same CommCell ID?

Thanks,
Shaun

Badge +3

@Niall @Shaun Hunt  Our organization is reducing the license capacity, but at the same time Commvault team is asking to surrender the old CCID because there is no option available to reduce the License on the same CCID with them. They are asking that they will provide the new CCID with reduced capacity license.

For the same reason, we need to migrate all clients and MA to new Commcell which would be surely have the new CCID.

Thanks

Badge +7

Hi @Rahul Maini,

If I understand correctly you’re saying that you’re wanting to set up a new CommCell (with a new CCID) that has less capacity. If you’re moving all the clients across to the new CommCell surely this is going to utilise the same licensing volume as you currently are now? Is it fair to assume that the current license is over spec’d?

If not one way around this could be that If you have clients that you no longer need to protect you can omit them from the existing license by disabling the backup activity at the subclient level, these clients will then no longer register against your existing licensing usage (this can be confirmed via the license summary report although please note these changes can take up to 24 hours to be reflected).

The only issue with the above approach is that you will remain on the same capacity you’re trying to move away from which obviously could be a non starter if the business has decided that they need to reduce it. 

As far as I am aware there isn’t a way in which you can migrate from one CommCell to a new one using differing licensing/CCIDs. I believe it would be a manual job to configure the new CommCell to protect the existing clients. 

Thanks,

Shaun

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Sounds like you need to perform this option:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/5096_performing_commcell_migration.html

You need to obtain an AuthCode to unlock the migration method though:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/5990_enabling_commcell_migration_and_global_repository_cell_grc_on_commserve_computer.html

One tip, when in doubt call support to assist.
Or maybe your CV account manager might be able to line up a local PS Consultant to assist.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

No need to perform any migration to make things overcomplicated, your CommVault account team will engage internally the License team to create the new license with the new CCID and it will be applied on the existing commServe.

Of course, the license will change the CCID and you cannot exceed the capacity provided by the new license; if that happens they can give you a loan but you have to decrease the license usage or buy additional licenses.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

No need to perform any migration to make things overcomplicated, your CommVault account team will engage internally the License team to create the new license with the new CCID and it will be applied on the existing commServe.

Of course, the license will change the CCID and you cannot exceed the capacity provided by the new license; if that happens they can give you a loan but you have to decrease the license usage or buy additional licenses.

Cool! I did not know that this was possible,
Thanks for the info @Ledoesp  😀

Badge +3

@Ledoesp Please let me know what are the steps (step by step procedure) involved to apply new CCID on the existing CommServe?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Rahul, from a technical perspective you only have to apply a license file.

However there is a previous sales process, where a new CCID is adquired and that your CommVault account team will request to licensing for a license being generated to be applied on the existing CCID.