Solved

Is it ok to create 2 DDBs on a single hard drive?

• 29 April 2021
  • 8 replies

Badge +1

We are in the process of the Mediaagent hardware refresh so while procuring the hardware specifications, I am wondering is it ok to create 2 separate ddbs (one for disk library and one for cloud library) on a single hard drive?

Please advice.

Thank you so much.

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 29 April 2021, 19:40

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Welcome @Darshna Amin !

I would definitely recommend against that.  You want to have the fastest drive possible as per your sizing.  Our Dedupe Building guide specifies all of the requirements for a DDB’s location/drive:

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=12411.htm

This section is the most relevant to you:

DDB Backup on Cloud

Deduplication Database (DDB) backup is not recommended on Archive Object Storage, like Glacier, Oracle Archive, Azure Archive, etc.

It is recommended to perform DDB backups to a Disk library. If however a Cloud library is used, create a new Cloud library that does not have the Archive Object Storage enabled (like Amazon S3) as the target and use it for performing both the DDB and Index backups.

Badge +1

Thank you so much for you quick response Mike. Let me review the documentation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sure thing!  A LARGE percentage of dedupe performance issues are tied to not following that guide and undersizing/underperforming hardware.

Let me know if you have any questions. 

Badge +1

So for example if we have one 400Gb raid 0 disk, I should not create 2 seperate ddbs on that one SAS disk. I should have another 400GB sas disk for the cloud backups deduplication. That way i have two seperate SAS disk for each DDB. Correct?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

That’s correct :nerd:

Badge +1

Ok. Thank you so much once again. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

A pleasure!  Hope to see you post more new threads :sunglasses:

Badge +1

I will do now as it is very helpful. Thanks