Solved

Migration to the new CommCell

• 14 June 2021
  • 8 replies

Badge +1

Hi All,

I am trying to migrate the old CommCell environment (11 sp15) to the new CommCell enviroment (11 sp20). I would like to move agents and data without the policies ( I would like to create the new backup polices). I am wondering if that is possilble, what route should I go and what support documents should I follow if any?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 16 June 2021, 22:56

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @Netherlands !  Appreciate the question and conversation!  Great topic, and an important one as you’re dealing with your collection of data!

My first question here is: what are you end and overall goals?  A CommCell Migration is a pretty big task and not to be undertaken unless you have a valid reason (we actually have a process where we confirm if this is needed before you can move forward).

Are you just looking to move the Commserve to new hardware?  Or another VM?  If so, just perform a Commserve hardware refresh (one of the paths for a disaster recovery of the CS).

Often, when someone asks about doing a migration, their goals can be accomplished by something much easier so understanding your end goals will help frame the conversation.

With that in mind, if you DO need to do a CommCell Migration, you need to migrate the Storage Policies along with the data, though you WON’T use them for new backups, just to restore the old:

Can I use the migrated storage policies for backups of migrated client computer in the Destination CommCell environment?

No. Storage policy should only have data from one CommCell environment. Hence after CommCell migration, migrated storage policies can no longer be used for backup operations. If you want to perform backups of migrated client computers, then you must assign a local storage policy (storage policy created in the destination CommCell environment) to subclients of the migrated client computers.

From the FAQ here: https://documentation.commvault.com/11.23/expert/5163_commcell_migration_faq.html

Here’s an overview of the CommCell Migration process (with more details further down the branches).  this will give the a good idea of what is involved, why you’d need to do it, and explain the process.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.23/expert/5078_commcell_migration_overview.html

Badge +1

Hi Mike! Thanks a lot for the quick response! 

The reasons why we want to do the migration is:

• Current environment is outdated – software + OS version. The whole landscape is old we prefer setting up a fresh / greenfield installation.  
  • We want to save/archive the old data. Hereby it should be possible to restore the old saved / archived data from the new commcell environment.
  • We want to create new policies. 
  • We want to make use of secondary copy to the cloud instead of local.

You mentioned that there is a specific process which confirms if migration is needed. Can you advise on that one? What do we need to follow?

After reviewing what you sent I am in doubt if we need to do a migration or we can perform the hardware refresh for the ComServe and then perform the hardware refresh to the MediaAgents?

Following the hardware refresh steps how would I be able to set up new policies for same machines starting from the specific period?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

My pleasure @Netherlands !

Based on what you are looking to do, a  Commserve hardware refresh makes the most sense.

At a high level you will:

1. Backup the CS database
  2. Shut down the CS
  3. Install the CS software on the new server (better hardware, but same name and IP address as old CS)
  4. Restore the CS database
    1. Possible few cleanup acts (if Dedupe is used)
  5. Create new Storage Policies if needed
  6. Move clients to new SP accordingly

Looking at your requirements:

• Current environment is outdated – software + OS version. The whole landscape is old we prefer setting up a fresh / greenfield installation.  
    • New Hardware solves that issue!
  • We want to save/archive the old data. Hereby it should be possible to restore the old saved / archived data from the new commcell environment.
    • No need to worry; new CS will be just like the old one since you restored the database and used the same name/IP address!
  • We want to create new policies. 
    • Unless there’s a big requirement here, why not just keep using the existing ones?  It’s entirely up to you, but why have two Storage Policies per client (old and new)?  Sure, eventually the old will age off, but that’s true regardless
  • We want to make use of secondary copy to the cloud instead of local.
    • Not a problem!  you can easily add an Aux Copy to Cloud (with new or old Storage Policies

Let me know if I covered all bases!

Badge +1

Thanks @Mike Struening

So, when is the migration required then vs hardware refresh?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Migration is generally used to Split or Merge(consolidate) entities from one CommCell into another. - Use Cases can be found here: Use Cases and Operations for CommCell Migration (commvault.com)

Hardware Refresh is used to move the CommServe DB into newer Hardware or OS/SQL Versions. - Ref: CommServe Hardware Refresh Overview (commvault.com) 

Best Regards,

Michael

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

What @MichaelCapon said :joy:

To add, Migrations are VERY rare…..extremely rare.  Most of the time someone says the word ‘migration’, they are really looking for a hardware refresh.  

Badge +1

Thanks a lot! Great support!Would doing a hardware refresh and moving servers to the cloud be possible as well?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sure!  The server location doesn’t really matter.  As long as the name, IP address, and database are the same (and clients/Media Agents have connectivity) you’ll be fine.