Solved

Rebuild Commserv instance

• 17 May 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

Hi All,

In one of our customer site, “cvd.exe” file got removed (We suspect anti-virus software for this). We couldn’t repair the instance as it gives errors due to “cvd.exe” file being missing. Since the CSDB is ok and fine we did a failover to the DR commserv and operations are continued.

Now we want to do an instance (instance 001) only restore for the commserv. We couldn’t find any documents regarding this kind of rebuild. Can anyone help us with a proper documentation link or steps.

icon

Best answer by Javier 12 July 2023, 14:50

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @Suranjan ,

You should be able to copy cvd.exe from another Client on that same version.

Have you tried that?

Best Regards,

Sebastien

Badge +1

Hi @Sebastien Merluzzi,

Thank you for your reply. 

Yes, we tried that. Even after that cvd services did not worked. Then we uninstall the commserv instance.

Thanks & Regards,

Suranjan

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

oh ok, I think it would better to log a case with Support so we can check.

Do you actually Backup the instance?

Installing a new Commserve with existing DB is not an option?

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/1733_installing_commserve_server_in_windows_environment.html

Badge +1

Hi @Sebastien Merluzzi,

Thank you for your follow up.

We are following up this with a support case. Commvault currently trying to reinstall with a full media kit.

We have a failover instance and we already failover to the DR instance.

Thanks & Regards,

Suranjan 

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

You should probably investigate ransomware.

Antivirus is the optimistic thought here, but ransomware has a vested interest in making sure your commserve is down.

Also I have never heard of Antivirus simply deleting files without warning.

Badge +1

Hi @clecky ,

Thank you for your insight.

Commcell env is pretty isolated in our setup. Antivirus SW only installed recently (in the first week of May). That’s why we are suspecting the antivirus to be the case.

I’ll notify the team to investigate this further with the possibility of Ransomware attack.

Thanks & Regards,

Suranjan

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

I might be a bit late to the party.

Please check the following documentation;

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023/essential/105908_reinstalling_production_commserve_host.html

In a nutshell, if you ever need to rebuild the production CS, the official procedure is to failover to your standby node (as you did), which will become the active node in the environment, and then reinstall the former production CS as a standby CS. You can then failback again.