Solved

Should I access the CommCell Utility installed directly on the CommServe Server

• 27 September 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

We are currently accessing our Java GUI CommCell Console and SQL Server Management Studio, installed directly on the CommServe Server. According to the link found below, CommVault recommends installing these Management Utilities on a Proxy server, as the extract hereafter specifies:

“Do not log on to the CommServe or MediaAgent computer directly. Instead, do the following:
Use a virtual machine proxy computer that has the JAVA GUI and SQL Management Studio installed.
Log on to the CommCell Console, and then access the MediaAgent computer.”

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=7885_1.htm

Is this indeed the recommended practice, or are we okay leaving and accessing the CommCell Console directly on the CommServe Server (we are not accessing the Media Agents directly for management purposes)?

Thank you. J

icon

Best answer by Jos Meijer 27 September 2022, 19:30

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I see a lot of environments where people manager Commvault whilst logged on to the Commserve, works for them.

But looking at resources and security it is preferred not to, I would advice to use a proxy / management server on which you install the management tools. I would only log on to the Commserve if you need to perform maintenance.

But it depends on the situation your in, some people don't have the resources/licenses to provide additional servers. Some work in an encapsulated high security infrastructure. Etc..

Badge +1

I see a lot of environments where people manager Commvault whilst logged on to the Commserve, works for them.

But looking at resources and security it is preferred not to, I would advice to use a proxy / management server on which you install the management tools. I would only log on to the Commserve if you need to perform maintenance.

Thank you Jos!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Your welcome 😃

Badge +6

Hi @Joseph,

Just to further add, here is a document that discusses using the security best practices to further secure your Commserve https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/4801_securing_commserve_computer.html