Question

SQL Server 'sa' user password problem when installation the trial version

• 25 September 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

Hi All.

I download the last package - a trial version - for evaluate the Commvault performance.

When I did try to install the package, arrive at one point when the installation process request me to insert the ‘sa’ password.

I created one Windows server (2019 standard version) ad hoc for this test. After the installation of the Operative System how first product I did install Commvault.

On this server don’t exist other additional middleware program.

When I arrive at the moment that the installation program request me to insert the “sa” password I did try to insert different options without success.

Actually I can’t continue with the installation program.

I did try to looking for other possibilities for set the password of SQL Server, without success too.

I would like to know how can I make for fix this problem for finish the process installation.

THanks in advance.

Best Regards

Ricardo

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Ricardo Alejandro 

To double check, have you installed SQL prior to installing Commvault or is SQL installed during the Commvault installation?

Badge +1

Hi Jos. No, I did install the Operative System and how first and “unique” program I did install the Commvault package. This serve have only the Commvault program (that I need finish to install).

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

When installing SQL via the Commvault installer the SA password should be automatically generated.
Are the basic SQL services in a running state?

Can you also share the install.log?

Badge +1

Hi Jos. Thanks for your support and sorry for my delay.

I attached the log (I save this log how doc file format because the Support site didn’t permit to save this file on the normal txt format.

Let me know If you need additional information.

I appreciated your support because now, I can’t continue with my installation.

BEst regards

Ricardo

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I see issues connecting to SQL:

1116 1 09/26 17:30:56 ### ### ### - Connecting SQL Server using default 'sa' password.

1116 1 09/26 17:30:56 ### ### ### - Error: Failed to connect to the database server [win-9j4qdni13sn\Commvault] with error "A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The remote computer refused the network connection.)".

Finally resulting in the question for the SA password in order to verify the password:

1116 1 09/26 17:30:56 ### ### ### - Showing dialog : SQLVerifyPasswordViewModel ....…

But I don't expect the issue to be with the SA password, seems to me there is a resolving issue or a firewall issue.

Are you able to connect to the SQL instance using the SQL Management Studio?

Badge

Hi Ricardo Alejandro,

You may have renamed the Commserve host during installation.This causes error when establishing a connection with SQL Server.Try to rename the commserve host to the previous name and try to resume the installation.

If the procedure works, rename the Commserve by traditional mode: :https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/7022_changing_commserve_computer_name.html