Solved

Why are my incremental backups same size as that of full backup?

• 22 April 2021
  • 1 reply

Badge +4

I have been running backups for a week or so now, and just started reviewing the Job Histories. Looking at one of my clients, I can see that the Incremental is the same size as the Full was when it ran, which doesn’t make any sense?

icon

Best answer by Stogs 22 April 2021, 16:41

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Incremental backups may be the same size as that of a full backup due to any one of the following reasons:

1. A third party software or antivirus scanner installed on your system is modifying the files every time they are backed up. In this process, these files are picked up in the subsequent backups increasing the size of incremental backups.

Oracle Fusion Middleware (OFM) is configured on your computer with incorrect settings. This could prevent the directory change rename after the full backup. This could also result in synthetic full backup failure.

1. Backups are performed from a Snap (hardware snap, QSnap, VSS snap) using recursive scan method with Check archive bit during backups option enabled. Selecting Check archive bit during backups picks up all the files from the snap for backup. FAT volumes and volumes with mount points that do not have an associated volume letter would also be picked up for backup.

As a workaround, change the scan method to Change Journal or disable Check archive bit during backups option in the Subclient Properties dialog box.