Solved

Question about custom package remote deployment via PowerShell

• 30 August 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge +3

Hello,

I am new to CommVault and attempting to remotely deploy MediaAgents and Virtual Server Agents using a PowerShell script.

I created a custom package selecting the “Virtualization” role (Per this article: https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/essential/135950_installation_roles_and_packages.html). I did not create a self-extracting executable file because it failed to generate one, so my package files are all contained with a folder.

The package successfully installs, but it is only installing the “File System Core” component. Even though my install.xml file explicitly says “ selectedRoles="51,713" “ which I noted are the Media Agent and Virtual Server in WinPackages.xml.

Is my install.xml not being read properly?

Here is my PowerShell one-liner:

(start-process "C:\localpath\Setup.exe" -ArgumentList '/silent /install /authcode XXXXXXXX' -Wait -NoNewWindow -PassThru).ExitCode

I also tried using this command on the local box: Setup.exe /play install.xml /silent /authcode authcode

The above looked like it kicked off a Commvault background installation process, but it disappeared after a few seconds and nothing was installed. I also tried it with “start /wait” at the beginning, and nothing at all happened.

icon

Best answer by Zer0c00L 31 August 2022, 20:11

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

@Kris Stubsten 

Badge

@Zer0c00L  - I don’t see anything on the surface that is incorrect in syntax.  I’ll run the same package and just see if I get the same result.  Can you confirm your version?

Badge +3

Hello Kris, thanks for the quick response.

The package version is 11.28.14 which it says is “Ahead of cache” (Exceeds the version of CommCell?)

CommCell version is 11.28.10 Release 2022E

I am available all day for a remote session if possible

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Sorry for the reply out of context, but needed to say that your username @Zer0c00L brings back memories of good old days 😄

Hack the planet! #Hackers #Movie #feelingoldnow

Badge +3

Sorry for the reply out of context, but needed to say that your username @Zer0c00L brings back memories of good old days 😄

Hack the planet! #Hackers #Movie #feelingoldnow

Lol, it’s a classic to me. I need to rewatch it; my wife has never seen it before.

Badge +3

Alright, I got it partially sorted out. The correct packages are now installed locally, however now the server is failing to populate in the CommCell with all the other MediaAgents (Manage > Server groups > MediaAgents).

I recreated the custom package, but instead of selecting “Join an existing CommCell” and using the “Virtualization” role, I selected “Advanced (package-based selection)” and then manually selected MediaAgent and Virtual Server for the packages.

I also made a slight change to the PowerShell line, but I’m not sure if this made any difference:

(start-process "C:\localpath\Setup.exe" -ArgumentList '/silent /install install.xml /authcode XXXXXXXX' -Wait -NoNewWindow -PassThru).ExitCode

Edit: FINALLY after a reboot and about an hour wait, it checked into CommVault as a MediaAgent. Issue is resolved.

Badge +2

@Zer0c00L - you can check the install.log files in \Program files\Commvault\Contentstore\Log files for successful completion.

Pay attention in the Install.log file for references to other detailed install.logs and watch for them as well.