Solved

Bulk move tapes to another library

• 29 September 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hi,

Is it possible to bulk move tapes from one library to another? I know it’s possible to right click one tape at a time and select “Options → Move to Library” and then select the new library but it would be nice to be able to do this with more than one tape a time.

The reason for this is that we would like to decom an old tape library that we are not using anymore - we have bought a smaller library with just one tape drive so we can restore from all of the tapes used in the old library - but if I de-configure the old library all the tapes will be put in to “Orphaned Media” it would be nice to just have them moved to the new library before de-configuring the old.

Maybe it’s just for cosmetics as I guess we can still import a tape (to the new library) that has been moved to “Orphaned Media” and restore the content from it?

icon

Best answer by Stuart Painter 29 September 2021, 13:30

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Morten Larsen 

I have found a work flow that may help here.

Workflow - Update Media Location

This workflow will allow you to provide a text file with media barcodes and update the media location in bulk.

Use this workflow to update media location in bulk. This workflow is useful to update the media location for media that are brought back from off-site storage.

The workflow can be setup in one of the following ways:

• On-Demand - Run the workflow on-demand if there are multiple locations and the media has to be updated with the appropriate location.

• Run Infinitely - Use this option if all the media is stored in a specific location. (The workflow will automatically run whenever new media is added to the input file.)

Please let me know if this fits with your requirements.

Thanks,

Stuart

Badge +1

Hi Stuart

Unfortunately this seems to only be location for a tape IE an export location - not for which library they are assigned. I would also think that a script should be possible but I can’t seem to find any suitable commands. 

But I just found that it’s possible to multi-select tapes from the “Orphaned Media” group and then select “Move to Library” 

So my plan of attack would be something like. De-configure the old library → Go to Orphaned media and select all the tapes and then use the “Move to Library” and select the new library.

Sorry if all of this is a bit confusing i might not be very good at explaining myself.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Morten Larsen 

I haven’t been able to find a simple command option to perform this task, the best I’ve found is export and import:

qmedia export

qlibrary import

However, it looks like the media must be loaded into the destination library to complete the import task.

For reference, these are the available Media Agent QCommands:

Thanks,

Stuart