Solved

Cloud Workloads Backup Strategy

• 22 October 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hi Community,

I want to know about the strategy which we can take for data protection of cloud workloads using CommVault .

Do we need to deploy CS in cloud or we can use on-prem cs for backup of cloud as well as on prem workloads ? if yes , How ?

Please share if there is any sample reference architecture diagram for backup of cloud workloads ?

What type of backup library to be used for cloud workloads backups ?

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 28 October 2021, 23:19

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @Mohit Chordia , hope this finds you well!

You can backup the data anywhere, though I would suggest using a Cloud based Library with a Cloud based Media Agent for potential cost savings depending on egress costs.

I don’t have any architecture guides, though we do have a list of supported vendors and some details around each here.

From a CV perspective, we support multiple library options and backup methods, ion mostly the same fashion.  The only caveat to cloud is that it’s definitely handy to back up cloud to cloud.

One product we offer that I highly recommend is Metallic Cloud Storage Service.  This is a CV cloud storage offering and is definitely worth looking into!

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

@Mike Struening 

Thanks for the reply .

What about the Master Backup Server (Commserver) ? Does it needs to be configured in Cloud for Cloud workload or we can use existing on-prem CS for backing up cloud workloads ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The CS can be anywhere you want.  Your existing one is fine!

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

@Mike Struening 

If i have multiple cloud accounts in different VPC/VNET . What would be strategy for data-protection ?

Do i need create new VPC/VNET and deploy some MAs in it , perform VPC peering from accounts which needs data protection to Commvault VPC to take backup or should i deploy MA in each and every VPC/account to backup the workload of that particular account 

Thanks.

Regards, Mohit

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Mohit Chordia , take a look at this link; it should provide what you need:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/7270_network_gateway_in_perimeter_network.html

There’s no simple cut and dry answer, though having an MA in each VPC makes things a lot easier.  You can utilize gateways to allow for communication across VPCs as needed.

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

@Mike Struening 

Thank you . I guess having MA in each VPC is possible for small environment's but not for large enterprise class.

Also if i create a dedicated VPC for Media agents and use gateways for communication to other VPC. Is it recommended to create new CS on the same VPC as MA or can i use existing on-prem CS ?

Regards, Mohit

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You’d only want the one Commserve (be it on prem or in the cloud).