Solved

DDB Data Verification on cloud enviroment

• 10 December 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hello,

I’m wondering what’s the proper approach to data verification in native cloud environments. The environment is built within the cloud, CS, MA, Cloud Libs etc. are placed in the same cloud solution, so the infrastructure traffic basically stays within the cloud. 

The only reference that I’ve found in the docs was:

Tip: By default, the data verification schedule policy that is created by the system is not configured with data mover MediaAgents that use a cloud storage product, because the read operations from the cloud are very slow and are performed on low latency media. If necessary, you can perform the data verification on the cloud storage manually.

To run data verification on data that is stored on archive cloud storage, first recall the data to the main cloud storage location. Then you can run the data verification job on the recalled data.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/12567_verification_of_deduplicated_data.html

But in this case the MediaAgents, are not data movers, but DDB hosts with cloud libs attached as well.

So are there any specific recommendations to data verification for cloud native environments or any important mentions? 

icon

Best answer by CSumner 11 December 2021, 16:21

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi Lukas,

Thank you very much for your question.

If the data is in cold storage, you would need to recall the data before running verification but this will incur cost, even if the MA is in the cloud.

If this data is not in cold storage, there is no need for a recall but the MA is in the cloud, you can schedule data verification but you will need to check with your cloud vendor in regards to read costs

Although the MA is in the cloud, it may not be hosted in the same data center as the cloud library, with this in mind there still may be some latency in running the verification, but again you will need to check with the vendor to confirm.

Please let me know if I have missed anything and I will be more than happy to assist further.

Regards,

Chris Sumner

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi Lukas,

Thank you very much for your question.

If the data is in cold storage, you would need to recall the data before running verification but this will incur cost, even if the MA is in the cloud.

If this data is not in cold storage, there is no need for a recall but the MA is in the cloud, you can schedule data verification but you will need to check with your cloud vendor in regards to read costs

Although the MA is in the cloud, it may not be hosted in the same data center as the cloud library, with this in mind there still may be some latency in running the verification, but again you will need to check with the vendor to confirm.

Please let me know if I have missed anything and I will be more than happy to assist further.

Regards,

Chris Sumner

Thank you for your insights @CSumner . Are there any additional cloud only related best practices in general? 

regards,

Łukasz.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Are there any additional cloud only related best practices in general? 

regards,

Łukasz.

Answering my question, yes there are and it’s even more that just best practices public-cloud-architecture-guide-for-amazon-web-services11-20.pdf (commvault.com) from Virtualization White Papers (commvault.com)