Solved

Improving Backup Performance of NFS Share?

Badge +1

I am backing up a fairly large NFS volume off a Netapp using the network share for NAS method.  There are a mix of large files and many small files.  Is it normal for a full backup to take several days (3-4) to complete?  How can I improve the speed? 

Currently I have a Linux Media Agent that is configured as the data access node.  Would performance increase if I add additional access nodes?

icon

Best answer by Onno van den Berg 9 June 2022, 20:27

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Backup performance can be improved by:

• using multiple access nodes
  • and/or an increase of the amount of data readers
  • and/or the use of multiple subclients

As you are using a NetApp I would also recommend to look into → https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/essential/131717_faster_incremental_backups_for_nas_file_servers_using_netapp_snapdiff.html

Do mind to monitor the array closely when you are using a FAS model (with spinning disks) to watch for congestion and an increase of latency. 

Badge +1

Thanks @Onno van den Berg I’ll try using more access nodes.  Appreciate the other tips too!

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Can you not utilize storage  snapshot based backups..we have implemented such a solution and the backup jut takes mintues

Badge +1

@Theseeker yes we are taking snap first and then pulling the backup copy after… the backup copy portion is what’s taking so long.

Hope you’re not just relying on snaps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Indeed relying on snaps alone (depending on the underlying solution) is not a backup ;-)