Solved

Slow performance of Intellisnap VM backup with NetApp

• 25 July 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hello,

We are getting slow throughput for VMware backups using intellisnap. Around 150 gb per hour with 5 readers.

Data store is on NetApp and VSA/Media agent is VM.

It is currently using NBD transport mode.

Can hotadd or another transport mode be used and will that be faster? Is there any other best practice?

icon

Best answer by Aplynx 25 July 2022, 20:30

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

NBD is typically the slowest connection as it uses the network.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/36340_transport_modes_for_vmware.html

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Does hotadd work with Intellisnap backup copies as we have the transport mode set  to auto and it is not able to use it?

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Transport mode is based on how you have things configured.  

If your proxy is a VM you can do NBD transport or Hotadd

If your Proxy is a physical machine, you can use NBD or SAN transport (If you have presented the datastores to the proxy machine)

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

It is a VM. The only thing missing is that esx used to mount the snapshots is different from the esx on which the vsa is currently hosted. Before getting the VSA moved to this esx used for mounting snapshots, i wanted to confirm if hotadd is support for intellisnap and performance improvement can be expected after this. Datastores are on NFS/Netapp.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Sandy11 yes, you can expect performance improvements even without using IntelliSnap. But the VSA doesn't have to be on the same ESXi host as long as it runs in the same cluster. As you are using NFS it should be possible for the VSA to connect to the datastores from any of the ESXi hosts. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Thanks. I am not seeing hotadd working with intellisnap when vsa is not on the esxi mount host.

In the commvault documentation as well I see following instruction:-

• If you are running backup copies using HotAdd, the VSA proxy must reside on the specified ESXi mount host.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Sandy11 not sure where you read this but please look at the following → https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/36325_configuring_transport_modes_for_backup_copy.html