Solved

VSA proxy server as part of the Commserve or dedicated VM

• 11 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi there,

I would like to ask you if it is better to have dedicated VSA proxy VM or if the VSA role should be taken by Commserve server? What should be taken into account? Let’s say, there is a smaller environment roughly said 20TB of data and only VMs. Unfortunately, I didnt find any recommendations or best practices.

icon

Best answer by Orazan 11 January 2023, 22:29

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Good afternoon.  It is always better to have as little added to the CommServe as possible as you can run into resource issues over time.  You also will have disks being added and removed if you are using hot add.  You would not want this happening on the CommServe server.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @Orazan, thank you for making me this dilemma clear. I would ask one additional question… Is there any difference if the VSA is installed on the physical Media Agent server or if VSA is one dedicated VM  just for this purpose - to be proxy for backing up VMs? Are there any pros and cons?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

It is common to see customers configured either way.   A dedicated proxy is preferred as it eliminates the potential of seeing resource related issues.  If you are going to use the MediaAgent that you use to move data, and that hosts DDBs and Index be sure to be mindful of resources.