Solved

Backing up Exchange Databases from HD Library to tape

• 15 November 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

We had to back up some exchange Dags for short term retentions to an 3Par Disk library. The Mount Path is from one of our media agents where i can see what's stored on the 3Par. My boss wants me to back up the month of September that we have on disk to tape, so we can clear it out from the 3Par for another month of Storage. 

Would the best way to back this up to tape would be to create a subclient on the media agent the drive is mounted to , target the Data Chuncks for the time of the month he wants backed up, and assign it a storage policy that will back it up to tape, or will that not capture the data we want from the 3Par?

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 15 November 2021, 19:43

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

**Update**

Talked with managment for input, and dont know if backing it up as data chuncks would be the best way for backing these back up to tape. They suggested the possibility of restoring it to a location and then to back it up again from said location. 

Would make allot more sense to do it this way. If this is the best solution is there a way to take how they are currently backed up as data chunks on the 3Par HD Library and back them up to tape with a conversion back to dag files without having to restore it to another location first?>

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @TP_Erickson ,thanks for the screenshots!

Why not just create an Aux Copy for these jobs?

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/11490_additional_copies_of_backup_data.html

You can make an Aux Copy for only the DAG subclient(s) and pull the data to another library, allowing you to free it from that current Mount Path.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

So with the Aux Copy , since the data has already been stored on the 3par HD library, i can run a aux copy on that to tape and it would back up as exchange dags (like i would normally see them written to tape) or would they show up as data chunks like what i see in the 3Par Library?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

As long as the chunks align to the jobs themselves that you’d be Aux Copying, you’d have restorable jobs there.

The files in your screenshot look like our writing format, so I assume they align to the DAG jobs (and likely other jobs as well).

The Aux Copy handles copying the necessary files for each job (including hydrated if Deduplication was involved).

It’s a pretty solid (and simple) process to ensure you have an offsite copy of the jobs.