With all of the cool features coming in our Feature Releases, I thought it would be handy to create a list of Best Practices for planning and Performing a Commserve update to a higher Feature Release.
There’s definitely a lot of Proactive work that can go into your process that will save you from potential headaches or even nightmare scenarios!
- Check out the Planning documentation first
- Plan the Timing out in advance - Make sure any key stakeholders know the CS will be down during this planned upgrade
- Do you use any type of Commserve Failover? If so, note the instructions for those differ accordingly.
- Upgrading Hardware as well? Review the documentation on Hardware Refreshes.
- Suspending jobs - Ideally, have no jobs running; though some jobs can be suspended and resumed after others cannot be suspended and must be killed.
- Check and Double check that you have the Media Downloaded or if you are using the Commserve Software Cache, that it is updated with your required Maintenance Release.
- Run a DR backup right beforehand and ensure a copy is stored off of the Commserve (which is general best practice as well)
- Be ready to restore the CS database if there’s a problem. Not likely at all, but being prepared can prevent panic.
Have any of your own? Feel free to share below!