Commvault Customization

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

HI Community, 

i am very interested in your thinking of customization of the following topics and if you do this and on which way you do this at the moment to achieve this goal. 

• Webconsole
  • Command Center 
  • Alerts 
  • Commcell Console GUI 

I am very excited about your answers and your experience with this topic. 

Cheers Philipp

19 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Philipp,

Efficiency is key and customizing Command Center to keep focus on what is important to the users, should be top of mind.   Whether its slimming the navigation bar or customizing the Command Center Dashboards, removing irrelevant noise, elevates the user experience.  Coupled with the global entity search commands, further increases the velocity in which people can administer the environment, when they need to manage exceptions.  

Embedding alerts with workflows is just another way to provide greater capabilities when surfacing information and action upon it.   Providing actions to what traditionally a is a “visualization layer” is just another way to increase productivity and efficiency.  Same thing with reports… adding common actions makes life so much easier.   With the “equivalent API” links, exposing the JSON output, making this happen is easier than ever, to embed actions.  

Cool topic, looking forward to seeing other replies.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

@MFasulo thanks for your response i am allready looking forward to see other comments and minds on this topic 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Great topic - and a powerful part of the Commvault ecosystem!

From our APIs (https://api.commvault.com anyone?) to command line, powershell cmdlets, custom reports (combined with alerts and workflows to make apps), workflows… the options are plentiful to integrate Commvault to any app.

I think in particular, alerts and workflows are more powerful (and simple to work with) than some people realize. The ability to attach and execute even a basic workflow, using parameters from the alert can provide simple but powerful automation. Internally my teams have used it to build some cool solutions to internal business problems or even prototypes as feature enhancements.

You can also couple these elements with system monitoring too, to trigger events and workflows from windows logs other things.

When I was in product management, I used workflows a lot to prototype ideas for product enhancements. For example, I created a workflow that would deploy the in-guest plugin to support Application Aware backups for VSA before we had built that capability as a proof of concept.

One of the things we are looking into is creating a developer forum right here in the community to help with scripting, automation, APIs, workflows, etc. Let me know if you are interested in that, we’d love your feedback on what you would like to see there.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

@Damian Andre many thanks for your response and your input ! Great to see that the topic is interesting another community members as well !

Badge +1

Yes, I would like to see more about modifying the Command Center.  For example, I would prefer setting navigation based on a role.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Yes, I would like to see more about modifying the Command Center.  For example, I would prefer setting navigation based on a role.

@Billyg03038 You can do this in FR20+  

Within security you can click on a user group and in the upper right corner there is a "Navigation Preferences” button.  You can use this and customize the navigation based on that security user group! 

Badge +1

Sigh… CV has suggested, due to our size, to only go w/ the long term FRs.  So we’re on 20...

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Sigh… CV has suggested, due to our size, to only go w/ the long range FRs.  So we’re on 20...

Check 20, I’m only running latest builds so its possible its there, but I didnt have a CS to check it on.

Badge +1

Found it!  Thx.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

omg this is amazing. Thanks for this 

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

may you are interested how we are doing customizing or branding for our customers
Alerts look like this 

And the console looks like this

also with an customized login page as well: 

May you find this helpfull as well 

Cheers Philipp

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

may you are interested how we are doing customizing or branding for our customers
Alerts look like this 

And the console looks like this

also with an customized login page as well: 

May you find this helpfull as well 

Cheers Philipp

I have the branding done-- just was looking at the worksflos but this popped a reminder for me to starting breaking down application aware backups

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Philipp Swoboda , looks great!!  Very personalized and unique.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Bit of a ‘behind the scenes’. In this community forum, you’ll notice that Commvault employees have a little icon in their avatar along with the ‘vaulter’ demarcation. We’re using a Commvault workflow to assign the right groups so that happens. It's a great general-purpose automation engine that does not have to be solely restricted to data protection - you can use it to glue other things together as well.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Regarding the customisation: we also use that. The only thing what is "missing" ,according to me, is the customisation of the interface per company/tenant. For example: so that you can use a different logo in the top left based on the company/tenant you are using. (Or different colors).  That way you can also easily see which company/tenant you are seeing.

Same for the login text.

For the rest, everything is great regarding the customisation. It improved a lot.

The option to modify the menu items is great too,and that was actually a must to have.(again, usefull for tenant based setups)

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Regarding the customisation: we also use that. The only thing what is "missing" ,according to me, is the customisation of the interface per company/tenant. For example: so that you can use a different logo in the top left based on the company/tenant you are using. (Or different colors).  That way you can also easily see which company/tenant you are seeing.

You can customize the corner logo per tenant.  I’ve done this as a visual cue.  Here is my default view

Heres is my fresh kills Company logo (staten island!)

And here is my “vcloud” company:

I could play with the colors too, but the logo is enough.    Dont get caught up on my setup being 11.23, this has been in the product since at least FR20.   Just go into your company and go to customize!

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

@MFasulo:  Thanks. based on your information, I found out that this didn’t work over here because of security settings. (tenant admin wasn’t allowed to customize the theme).
Now this works. Thanks, another issue resolved without the need to open tickets :) 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Regarding Customization:

is it possible to customize the logo with -for example- the tenant logo in PDF/HTML exports?

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hello,

Just found this thread and thought I’d post in here also.

Is there a way to customoze the Job summary report and add a xml string into the body of the email, same way that it is possible to do from the Java console for Alerts?

//Henke