Custom report for endpoint backup

Badge +3

Hello,

we are trying to create a custom report for endpoint backup feature, but did not succeed yet. 

The thing is; Commvault’s existing reports does not have the client name and client owner name in the same report. Reports are server/client centric. But we want to have owner name besides the client name in the same report so that we can understand which user’s backup is ok and which user’s is not. 

Maybe someone had the same issue before and found a solution? would appreciate to hear opinions and suggestions. 

Regards. 

15 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi @Brg10 ,

If you are building your own reports, the below should help to join the owner information in on the Client ID:

SELECT C.id AS ClientID,
C.name AS ClientName,
C.net_hostname AS ClientHostName,
U.login AS OwnerLoginName,
U.name AS OwnerName
FROM dbo.APP_Client AS C
INNER JOIN dbo.sec_getClientOwnersExpandUG AS E ON C.id = E.clientId
INNER JOIN dbo.UMUsers AS U ON U.id = E.userId
AND E.userId <> 0

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks for the post @Brg10 !  I moved your post over to our Best Practices section (and converted it to a conversation since you want lots of ideas).  We have a solid history here of getting some amazing conversations going around these topics!

Badge +2

Hello @Brg10 

At this time none of our default reports and none of our reports available on the Commvault store have the option to show the owner of the machine associated with the client being backed up. This is something we’ll have to bring to the development team’s attention and see if this feature can be added via a Customer Modification Request(CMR). We’ll work on getting this CMR request submitted to the development team and will follow up once they get back to us either approving or denying the CMR request.

Badge +3

Hello @Brg10 

At this time none of our default reports and none of our reports available on the Commvault store have the option to show the owner of the machine associated with the client being backed up. This is something we’ll have to bring to the development team’s attention and see if this feature can be added via a Customer Modification Request(CMR). We’ll work on getting this CMR request submitted to the development team and will follow up once they get back to us either approving or denying the CMR request.

Hi Anthony,

thanks for your answer. Just few notes which you may want to share with your development team: We have been working one of the Gartner top vendors for enduser backup and now we moved to Commvault. That vendor had this feature ( giving owner information in Backup Job Summary report). And that was very useful. In server backup owner information is not something you can use. But with endpoint backup, owner information is really important. Because here person is more important than the laptop. Admin wants to know who has backup and who does not have,rather than which laptop has backup and which laptop does not. Unfortunately, i cant post here reports from other vendor for obvious reasons. But if you need to see,i can show with remote session. I am going to provide more information in my next message, if you want to follow up.

regards. 

Badge +3

Hi @Brg10 ,

If you are building your own reports, the below should help to join the owner information in on the Client ID:

SELECT C.id AS ClientID,
C.name AS ClientName,
C.net_hostname AS ClientHostName,
U.login AS OwnerLoginName,
U.name AS OwnerName
FROM dbo.APP_Client AS C
INNER JOIN dbo.sec_getClientOwnersExpandUG AS E ON C.id = E.clientId
INNER JOIN dbo.UMUsers AS U ON U.id = E.userId
AND E.userId <> 0

Hi @bish , very useful information. But my description of problem/expectation may not be very clear. So let me give more details. As i wrote in the message above, we just replaced one of the well known Gartner reports top endpoint backup solution and moved to Commvault. We are basicly looking at built in “Backup job Summary” report of Commvault. But when we compare that report with the report that vendor had, we see some missing points and these missing points are very useful with endpoint backup reports. I will describe them one by one:

1. Owner information: We cant see the owner information in Backup job Summary report as i described before. With server backup, owner information does not make sense. But with endpoint backup it is very critical, actually more critical than endpoint itself. Because basicly the important information is; for which people we have backup and for which we do not have. Admin would like to quickly to figure out if has backups for C level executives within company. So we would like to add owner information to the “Backup Job Summary” report. Having owner’s name,sername, email address information could be also useful. But most important one is the AD username of the owner.
  2. Last successful backup time: It is crucial to know when last successful backup was taken for users that belong to spesific Plan. I can do some filtering within Backup Job Summary; I can select Full and Incremental from the “Job Type”. Then select Completed,Completed with Errors, Completed with Warnings from the “Job Status” (would not select Committed, as it means incomplete backup). And from time Frame i can select 7 days, for example. But that report would show dozens of lines for each client. Because each completed Incremental backup will be in different line. So when admin tries to get list of users who had successful report within last 7 days and send that report to his manager, he needs to create the Backup job summary report,export it to CSV,then delete duplicate lines for each endpoint device.only then report will be ready to send to manager. So briefly requirement here is the ability to filter only the last successful backup for each endpoint. 
  3. plan name: it is possible to filter the plan name from “Server groups” dropdown menu in Backup job summary. But it would be nice to have that information as a column in the Backup Job Summary report. Because when admin exports the report in csv format, admin himself or manager may need to filter users according to plan name.
  4. Total application size: with Backup Job Summary, it is possible to see the data size for that spesifik backup job, but it is not possible to see the total application size for each client. 

we are using Commvault endpoint backup for 1.500 devices. So with small number of endpoint devices, it could be possible to click to job details and get whatever information we wanted to see. But with 1.500 devices it is impossible.

Sorry for long message :).

regards. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @Brg10 !  Appreciate the extra context as well as the position you are in!

Regarding the initial ask, besides what @bish suggested, dev requested you usiltize the SQL view called sec_getClientOwnersExpandUG which contains that information.

However, I also requested permission to enter a CMR under your name to get that information added.  It’s extremely valid, useful, and helpful!

Edit: created CMR 314593

I’ll loop back around on your other 3 requests!

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hello @Brg10,

Can I assume you are looking for all of this information in a single report?  

Regards,

Badge +3

Hello @Brg10,

Can I assume you are looking for all of this information in a single report?  

Regards,

Hi @byates ,

Yes, i am willing to have a customized copy of existing Backup Job Summary report which includes all of these additional information in addition to existing information.

regards.  

Badge +3

Regarding the initial ask, besides what @bish suggested, dev requested you usiltize the SQL view called sec_getClientOwnersExpandUG which contains that information.

However, I also requested permission to enter a CMR under your name to get that information added.  It’s extremely valid, useful, and helpful!

Thanks Mike,

Just to make clear:  i am willing to have a customized copy of existing Backup Job Summary report which includes all of these additional information in addition to existing information.

regards. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Brg10 , this is almost certainly doable!  Are you looking to have this built for you, or just where in the database these items exist to then build a custom report on your end?

You can create a custom report to show pretty much anything you want:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.23/essential/44561_build_your_own_reports_overview.html

There’s even an example/how-to for a failed object report that would get you in the direction you are looking:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.23/essential/45084_example_building_backup_failures_report.html

You can also export reports you have to xml, and import reports (like from our store here https://cloud.commvault.com/webconsole/softwarestore/#!/135/660)

Take a look at the documentation (it’s nice and extensive) and we can help steer you the right direction.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

@Brg10,

I have been researching your request using the current setting for the Job Summary Report.  Unfortunately, without changing the code I was not able to configure it to meet your request.

Regards,

Badge +3

@Brg10 , this is almost certainly doable!  Are you looking to have this built for you, or just where in the database these items exist to then build a custom report on your end?

You can create a custom report to show pretty much anything you want:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.23/essential/44561_build_your_own_reports_overview.html

There’s even an example/how-to for a failed object report that would get you in the direction you are looking:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.23/essential/45084_example_building_backup_failures_report.html

You can also export reports you have to xml, and import reports (like from our store here https://cloud.commvault.com/webconsole/softwarestore/#!/135/660)

Take a look at the documentation (it’s nice and extensive) and we can help steer you the right direction.

hi @Mike Struening ,

thanks for information. We have already looked at those documentation and tried to generate custom reports ourselves. But our sql knowledge lacks for this level of coding. We have checked the additional reports at cloud.commvault.com, and could not find a report that could meet expectations. 

So we thought that our expectations are something other endpoint backup users would also want to see. And thought that maybe someone already generated that report and can share with us. 

regards. 

Badge +3

@Brg10,

I have been researching your request using the current setting for the Job Summary Report.  Unfortunately, without changing the code I was not able to configure it to meet your request.

Regards,

Hi @byates , thanks for your time and effort.

Yes, without changing the code, it is not possible. 

regards. 

Badge +3

hi @Mike Struening ,

just for information, i checked and the view sec_getClientOwnersExpandUG does not contain that information. It contains id’s. 

regards. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Appreciate the replies!  Without utilizing SQL queries, you’re going to hit some roadblocks in creating your own custom reports.

Have you reached out to your Account Rep regarding Professional Services?

I entered a CMR for the initial request though there’s no ETA on CMRs so this won’t help you today, whereas a Custom Report can contain pretty much anything you want.