Solved

Disabled backup activity on the client and data aging

• 13 May 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi there,

I would like to discuss the following situation:

I want to disable backup activity on the client, however I want to keep aging of associate data as usual. Is there any workaround for it? It is possible to release lincence and deconfigure client, then data aging goes well... However, my question is:

It is possible to keep data aging on the client that is only disabled from the backup activity?

Thanks for your responses!

icon

Best answer by HolowEd 13 May 2021, 13:41

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi @drPhil,

There are 2 options that you have here for this;

Open Commvault Control Panel - Media Management - Data aging tab

Ignore Cycle Retention on Backup Activity disabled subclients

Ignore Cycle Retention on de-configured clients

If you only want to disable the backup activity do it at the subclient level and set this option to a 1 and we will age the data based upon the days portion of the retention settings.

or you can completely deconfigure that client and set the other option.

Please be aware that these are global options and will affect all clients and subclients in the Commcell.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hello @drPhil,

From the properties of the client click on the Activity Control tab. From there you should have 3 option disable backup, disable restore, and disable data aging. If backup is all that you want to disable just uncheck that, the data will still age per retention settings of the storage policy.

Even if you completely deconfigure the client, data will still age per the retention settings of the storage policy.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hello @drPhil,

From the properties of the client click on the Activity Control tab. From there you should have 3 option disable backup, disable restore, and disable data aging. If backup is all that you want to disable just uncheck that, the data will still age per retention settings of the storage policy.

Even if you completely deconfigure the client, data will still age per the retention settings of the storage policy.

Hi @Edward,

hm, that’s a good point. Maybe, I elaborate my idea a little bit. The thing is, that once the client is disabled some data can’t be aged because usually there is an aging rule about at least 1 cycle retention. So, if I change my question - is it possible to ignore cycle retention rule by clients, that are disable from the backup activity?

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @drPhil,

There are 2 options that you have here for this;

Open Commvault Control Panel - Media Management - Data aging tab

Ignore Cycle Retention on Backup Activity disabled subclients

Ignore Cycle Retention on de-configured clients

If you only want to disable the backup activity do it at the subclient level and set this option to a 1 and we will age the data based upon the days portion of the retention settings.

or you can completely deconfigure that client and set the other option.

Please be aware that these are global options and will affect all clients and subclients in the Commcell.

Thanks @Edward! That is exactly what I was looking for.