How many media agents do you have setup for your backups?

• 6 July 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge +4

Hello everyone,

I’m curious to know how many media agents you guys are running for your backups?

I have about 300 VMs + fileshares where I have daily, weekly, monthly and yearly jobs running from a specific media agent.

The server fails from time to time due the amount of information that goes through it, a reboot would fix it and all the jobs would continue without a problem. 

I’m aware that I need more servers dedicated to act as media agent but I do not know how many I should have and the specs they should have.

The media agent has the following specs: 

2 CPU: E5-2670 v3 @ 2.30GHz
Ram: 256 GB

A support agent mentioned one time that he saw some org having 10 servers acting as media agent only to run half what we have. It sound a bit overkill to me and I believe the specs of their servers may have been worst than what we’re currently running. 

So, how many media agent are you using in your org? What are the specs for your servers?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Good question, @MartinD !  There’s a lot that goes into the architecture, and a great place tom start is looking at your stream count compared to your data readers, then factoring in your operation window/business requirements.

This guide covers streams in great detail including readers, writers, etc.:

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=10969.htm

Depending on geographic factors as well, more MAs might make a lot of sense.

There are so many factors to consider, especially looking at library utilization (is your library maxed out, or does it have plenty of idle resources that another MA could utilize?).

I moved this thread to our Best Practices section as a conversation which has consistently gotten a better response from our fellow community members :sunglasses:

Badge +4

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your answer, I’ll have a look. I do think we’re maxing out our stream level. I’ll have a look at our next run of backups. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Keep us posted!  Just remember that more is not necessarily better.  It’s like a Sherlock Holmes mystery with analysis and measuring :nerd: