Saving reports to command center

• 11 February 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hi,

opinion/feedback from commvault users please:

From the command center, users are scheduling reports, and of course they email those reports.
But, the delivery  of emails is very unstable, which is not a Commvault problem.
With “unstable” I mean  e-mails which don’t arrive.
Either because the remote mail servers think it’s spam, or because the email is too big. (compressing the PDF doesn’t really make a big difference :grinning:  )

Commvault has a “download center”, wouldn’t it be possible to have a possibility/option to store those reports -which are send - also *automatically* in the download center so that user can still retrieve them later. (because, of course, users only notice hat they don’t have the report, if they have an audit months later)

I know that we can save the files to a drive, but of course users cannot access that from the command center. (and we could use external tools of course)

What are your ideas ? Are there any Commvault users which implemented something like that or something similar?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @Bart !  Want to make sure I understand your vision here. 

Essentially, you’re looking for already run reports to be accessible by others?  So if a report was sent to X users, another (or even those same people) can find a list of those sent reports for easy access?

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hey @Bart !  Want to make sure I understand your vision here. 

Essentially, you’re looking for already run reports to be accessible by others?  So if a report was sent to X users, another (or even those same people) can find a list of those sent reports for easy access?

Hey Mike. It would be nice to have it accessible by other tenant members, but that’s not a must.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi,

opinion/feedback from commvault users please:

From the command center, users are scheduling reports, and of course they email those reports.
But, the delivery  of emails is very unstable, which is not a Commvault problem.
With “unstable” I mean  e-mails which don’t arrive.
Either because the remote mail servers think it’s spam, or because the email is too big. (compressing the PDF doesn’t really make a big difference :grinning:  )

Commvault has a “download center”, wouldn’t it be possible to have a possibility/option to store those reports -which are send - also *automatically* in the download center so that user can still retrieve them later. (because, of course, users only notice hat they don’t have the report, if they have an audit months later)

I know that we can save the files to a drive, but of course users cannot access that from the command center. (and we could use external tools of course)

What are your ideas ? Are there any Commvault users which implemented something like that or something similar?

So you need that specific point in time snapshot of the report?  I’m assuming yes, otherwise they could just open the report in Command Center.   

They could also dump the report to a specific location from the Command Center scheduled report configuration:  report > click the corresponding report > Schedule > use the option boxed below

I dont know your specific scenario, but to me, I only care to look at information when it needs my attention, by default things should be successful.  You can setup alerts and thresholds to hone in on these types of conditions, so that when something on the report needs your attention, you dont have to view it everyday, you can just manage exceptions.  This is a general practice and isnt applicable to all scenario, and you should always spot check, but I’ve saved a ton of time, moving toward this model of managing my environment.  

Tell us more about the scenario, there may be other possibilities.