Question

Data Transferred over network

• 23 December 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge +4

i see this all the time and i never understood it. we make backup copies from disk to tape, both attached to the same media agent. During these aux copies it has the Data Transferred over Network number, which I think should be 0, but there is usually a number there. For example this aux job has these numbers, still running:
Total Data Processed: 3.23 TB

Data Transferred Over Network: 107.95 GB

Total Data to Process: 4.7 TB

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hello @gibby101 

The Data transferred over network is more of a representation of how much unique data was backed up.

Its not really “going over the network” in this case, its representing the size of the snapshot turned into a Commvault proprietary backup. 

In a backup or aux copy for example, it would represent the amount of new data backed up or copied, taken from the Total Application size prior to deduplication.

Thank you,
Collin

But in this case these figures are displayed in the jib properties of the job that is copying the data dehydrated from local disk to tape. So I assume @gibby101 is asking what the relation is of this figure and the aux-copy. In my believes it shouldn't display any figure, right? On the other hand if the MA that is processing the aux-copy is externally then you would have to copy data over the wire to the destination MA. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hello @gibby101 

The Data transferred over network is more of a representation of how much unique data was backed up.

Its not really “going over the network” in this case, its representing the size of the snapshot turned into a Commvault proprietary backup. 

In a backup or aux copy for example, it would represent the amount of new data backed up or copied, taken from the Total Application size prior to deduplication.

Thank you,
Collin