Solved

Alert configured not working as expected

• 14 December 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hello everyone,

Before I open a ticket, I decided to ask here first, :).

I’m with a alert configured to send via e-mail to a client when the Job Restore Succeed (Replication), but this client ask me to add more info so he don’t need to open the Command Center to see exactly what exactly was successful.

With this, I went in the Command Center > Monitoring > Alerts > Alerts Definitions > the Alert itself. I edited the template and add more informations in it and then I saved the template, but when the client received the alert, he received the e-mail totally deconfigured, with the criterias I inserted, but with no informations:

So what I did after this was to restore everything back to the original, and reconfigure the Alert using the Console Java Gui. I saved the template, and inserted more options in the table with the criterias as you can see below:

But even with this configurations setted, when he received the alert in his e-mail, the informations that I configured like: Virtual Machine Name, Virtual Machine Backup Status is not present in the Alert.

Also I tried to insert the option to attach details in the e-mail, but when he opens the html, everything is weird.

Is there anything I can do to make this alert work as expected or there is any other alert that I can configure so the Replication (DR) can show exactly which VMs is synced or failed so the client doesn’t need to open the Command Center?

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 25 January 2022, 22:07

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@antonio , how are you adding the tokens?  Are you adding them via the instructions or just typing them in as plain text?

An alert token is a placeholder that can be added to an alert notification so that the notification message includes the data the token represents. For example, if <CLIENT LIST> is added to an alert notification, after the notification is generated, the message will include a list of clients.

The type of alert and the type of notification determine the tokens that are available. For more information, see Tokens by Alert Type and Notification Type.

Procedure

1. From the CommCell Console ribbon, on the Home tab, click Alerts.

2. In the Alerts dialog box, select the alert and click Edit.

3. From the Modify Alert Wizard dialog box, select Notification Type(s) Selection in the left pane.

4. From the token list, select the token you want to add to the alert notification, and then click Add Token.

For descriptions of the tokens, see Available Alert Tokens.

Note: For Workflow notifications, tokens can be selected from the list in the Value field of the workflow input parameter table displayed after a workflow is selected. You can select any of the available tokens for each input parameter.

5. Repeat step 4 until all of the tokens are added.

6. Click Finish.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/5438_adding_alert_tokens_to_alert_notifications.html

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

@antonio , how are you adding the tokens?  Are you adding them via the instructions or just typing them in as plain text?

An alert token is a placeholder that can be added to an alert notification so that the notification message includes the data the token represents. For example, if <CLIENT LIST> is added to an alert notification, after the notification is generated, the message will include a list of clients.

The type of alert and the type of notification determine the tokens that are available. For more information, see Tokens by Alert Type and Notification Type.

Procedure

1. From the CommCell Console ribbon, on the Home tab, click Alerts.

2. In the Alerts dialog box, select the alert and click Edit.

3. From the Modify Alert Wizard dialog box, select Notification Type(s) Selection in the left pane.

4. From the token list, select the token you want to add to the alert notification, and then click Add Token.

For descriptions of the tokens, see Available Alert Tokens.

Note: For Workflow notifications, tokens can be selected from the list in the Value field of the workflow input parameter table displayed after a workflow is selected. You can select any of the available tokens for each input parameter.

5. Repeat step 4 until all of the tokens are added.

6. Click Finish.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/5438_adding_alert_tokens_to_alert_notifications.html

Hi @Mike Struening, I’m selecting the Tokens directly from the list that is available both in Console and Command Center, but still not showing the others Tokens I need to show. Below there’s screenshots showing how I selected the Tokens,( I think showing how I’m doing is better for understanding, :relaxed:)

Command Center Token selection
Console Token Selection

Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I was hoping it was something simple!

You have it set right, it’s in HTML and everything.

This isn’t working right. I checked our ticket databased and there’s nothing like this.

I would suggest opening a support case directly.  This might require some development investigation.

Send me the case number once you do.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

I was hoping it was something simple!

You have it set right, it’s in HTML and everything.

This isn’t working right. I checked our ticket databased and there’s nothing like this.

I would suggest opening a support case directly.  This might require some development investigation.

Send me the case number once you do.

I was hoping it was something simple too Mike.

I opened the case and this is the number: 211215-351

Thanks for your help, :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sharing the case resolution:

1) Customer was not receiving Virtual machine name in the alert.
2) Checked and found that Under Alert definition--> Threshold and Notification Criteria Selection--> Send Individual notification for each restored virtual machine option was not selected.
3) Enable that option and asked customer to monitor the alerts.