Solved

Azure files tiering

• 29 January 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

We are investigating to start using Azure Files as an archive method.

When a file been tiered (stubbed) how does Commvault treat that stub when a file backup is run? Will it backup the stub itself or does it follow the link and backup the entire file?

Br

Henke

icon

Best answer by Damian Andre 29 January 2021, 17:17

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi Henke, 

Are you planning on archiving data using Azure or using Commvault to Archive the data and Azure as the library storage? 

Kind regards,

Suzanny Lloyd

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hello Suzanny,

We would use Azure to do the Archiving, I think tiering is the term they use.

BR

Henke

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @Henke,

I am assuming you are storing files on Azure files (SMB share) and using a file system agent to protect the share(s). I’m not sure if we’ve validated this but a quick google shows that it does support the attributes needed to allow archiving with stubbing (assuming you are using SMB and not Linux style share - which could work too but I’m not a Linux expert to know).

Since we don't have access to the server hosting the files, we can’t install the driver. This means that any client accessing the file share will need the driver installed in order to trigger a recall, assuming you want seamless access.

When a file is stubbed, the offline attribute is set - our file system agent knows how to handle these so that they don't trigger a recall. I know with OnePass archiving the sub is stored automatically as part of the OnePass job, further file system jobs won't need to backup the stub. If you are using non-onepass archiving I think the file may be backed up as a stub - which is beneficial should the stub become damaged, as you can restore the stubs easily.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Thanks @Damian Andre.

The last section is what I was looking for. We have still to test this, but I can assume that there won’t be any recalls at least.

BR

Henke