Solved

Backup data from Egnyte to CommVault prior to migration to Azure based services

• 15 September 2021
  • 15 replies

Badge +4

Hi CV Community,

We have acquired a company that has a chunk of data in Egnyte’s cloud.  If possible, I’m to try and back this data up, before they start trying to port it into our Sharepoint and other services as deemed appropriate.  

Anyone done this? (and how did you?) I’m not seeing a lot of “we did this” sort of commentary with google searches, and I get no hits for dealing with Egnyte data in CV’s manuals or KB site.

Thanks,

David K

icon

Best answer by D. Kerrivan 12 November 2021, 19:57

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @D. Kerrivan , thanks for the post!

I searched our entire repository for Egnyte  and I found one customer looking to do this, though they were advised to create a CMR.

I assume restoring it to a file server and backing it up in one chunk is not ideal?

Curious to see if anyone else has any experience.

Badge +4

Hi Mike,

We’ve been asked to maintain current permissions etc. when we migrate it into our SharePoint and other services.  That’s going to be a big enough challenge.  I’m just trying to back it up in situ if at all possible before things happen, so that we have a solid point in time to reference back to prior to the merge.  I’m only keeping this image for a finite time as well.

The prior parent company will be deleting the data once we merge, so I need to preserve things for our needs as the original starting point for us will have been erased. This is just insurance for the first bit as we integrate this acquisition into our business work flows. 

Copying around 5 TB of data is doable, but, won’t be fun and I may not be able to preserve the ACL’s as the data moves into our AD, and I’m already resource constrained (to be solved in the coming weeks but not quite soon enough for this project requirement).

At the rate things are going, I’m likely to start an entire Mergers and Acquisitions category here. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

One thing to consider/investigate is if the vendor has any suggestions.  Being a cloud resource makes it tricky, but perhaps they have some sort of script you can use to feed to one of our File System Agents?  It’s worth an ask while seeing if anyone else has feedback or experience.

Badge +4

Hi Mike,

Agreed - I’m currently dealing with another cloud service this acquisition uses as it is just a titch higher on my priority scale, like .0003 higher. That at least I have documented steps for ingestion to follow.  Egnyte is fairly opaque at the moment.  We just got admin access late today so I’m hoping to dig in after I get this other stuff protected.  I’m also running against a bit of a deadline as I’m heading out on vacation and this needs to be protected before that happens. 

Time for some triple shot Americano’s...

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

On the bright side, your reply gave me some much needed laughs!

I have a feeling you are going to be the pioneer on this one.  Hopefully the vendor has a script option, or some way to present the data as a local drive, or something similar (throwing out ideas here).

Keep me posted!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @D. Kerrivan , hope all is well!  any luck getting the Egnyte data backed up?

Curious if you found a good solution.

Badge +4

Mike,

Not yet. I’m discussing ideas with my manager about this - we may simply migrate from Egnyte to Sharepoint as is, and pray.  I may, if I can find the space, pull it in using the Egnyte desktop app and back that up as a local machine. I’ve got orders for new storage, but it’s not here yet! :sunglasses:   but it may not arrive before the “best before date” on the migration if you will. supply chains are getting interesting for IT nowadays...

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I hope you get the storage sooner than expected….keep me posted :disappointed_relieved:

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Gentle follow up on this one.  Any chance you’ve been able to make headway here @D. Kerrivan ?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @D. Kerrivan , I’m going to mark this as solved, though if you were able to find a solution better than what was suggested, please do correct me!

Badge +4

Eh. sorry Mike.  Past couple of weeks have been … interesting, and short on sleep - IT growing pains, a tiny circuit fire that’s crippled some 3rd tier storage (hard to keep magic blue smoke in older gear) and some fun with water where it shouldn’t be...

I have not found a solution that works with CV.  What we are doing is trying to move the data via a 3rd party app that reads the data via the Egnyte desktop app and making a copy over in our AWS storage area. It’s the crudest method, but, it’s what I’ve got, and it’s a long slow slog as we seem to get throttled out after 450 GB. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Holy cow, you have had quite the few weeks….my condolences.  I hope a warm bed is in your near future.

I am going to unmark the answer then.  I really want to see this to the end!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @D. Kerrivan , hope all is well!

How did this method go?

What we are doing is trying to move the data via a 3rd party app that reads the data via the Egnyte desktop app and making a copy over in our AWS storage area.

Badge +4

Mike,

Well, it was a series of stagger steps - the tool would get about 300 to 450 GB transferred, then lock up. So, I simply rebooted the system it was running on to flush all buffers every half day or so. It took the better part of a week to roll, but it’s stashed in our cloud storage now. It was also merged into our main Cloud fileshare method as well. Final sync happens this weekend, but my part is done. 

For those who’re interested - Syncovery was the tool we used, it read the data out of the Egnyte desktop app, and stuffed it into AWS.  A very very tunable tool, and nice to have in your toolbox.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Whew…..it sounds like a brutal experience from start to finish, but I’m glad your part is over!

I’ll mark your reply as the Best Answer.