Solved

Backup FTP Site

• 2 March 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

I have a system which can only backup to an FTP site. We use a cloud-based FTP service for our FTP. However, I would like to retain a copy of the backups from that system in our CommVault environment.

Has anyone used CommVault to backup an FTP site directly? I could, in theory, automate the extraction of the FTP data to a local file server and backup the data that way. However, it would be great if I could skip that step and grab the data directly into CV via FTP.

Any advice?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Damian Andre 2 March 2021, 19:51

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

That’s a REALLY interesting question.  So essentially, you’re looking add the FTP credentials, etc. right into the content tab (at least in effect) and back up the files….

The only thing I can think of immediately is setting up a subclient on any FS that has access, and configuring a script to copy the data down, then maybe delete it as a post backup script though that’s not without issue.

I’ll ask around, though if you can, reply back with the actual service name as it might become important.

Badge +2

Hi Mike,

Yep, you are exactly right regarding my thought process. If it would be possible to configure a subclient to grab that data, it could prevent the back end automation. When you discuss the scripting, is there a way to integrate scripting into the backup jobs themselves? Or would that be a separate process?

The service is FTP Today https://www.ftptoday.com/

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

When you discuss the scripting, is there a way to integrate scripting into the backup jobs themselves?

Yes you can, using the pre-script option on the subclient for a regular file system agent, and execute .bat files, or even powershell if the system is allowed to.

You would configure the pre-script to initiate the download to a staging/temp location (in the past I used winSCP scripting for this), and then ensure the subclient content will target that location. You can also set a post-script to go clean up the location once the backup is done. 

If you wanted to get super fancy you can configure your backup library to look like an FTP server, so the application can send data directly to it. But I think in your instance that may be a little over-complicated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Damian Andre beat me to it!  That’s exactly what I was referring to.  You’d have to write/provide both scripts (though the vendor for your FTP might have examples), though CV has a really nifty feature to allow scripts to run:

• Before the scan/after the scan
  • Before the backup/after the backup

In this case, you’d want to get the dump out before the scan, and clear it out after the backup.

Badge +2

Thank you guys for your information! @Mike Struening if your team finds an option to backup FTP directly, I would appreciate the reply and a heads up. But, for now, I will investigate the scripting options in the subclient.

Thanks!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I put an ask into our dev team, so if anything comes up they will reply here.

In the meantime, I’ll mark this as answered (and @Damian Andre  was clearer than I was so he wins :laughing: )