Solved

Capacity Planning during migration of P to V

• 1 September 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Hi,
we use Commvault Simpana 11 with a TB licence model.
I backup my Windows fileserver with a file agent and i plan to migrate this to VMWare virtual server agent.
How is the behavior because of the TB capacity?
Do i need 6 tb for the transition period until the data from the file server agent is aged out? 

Thanks and Regards
Dennis

icon

Best answer by Stuart Painter 1 September 2021, 11:16

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi Dennis,

How much is your current volume capacity license ?

Do you only have this volume model, and no VM license ?

Aside of that, I would suppose that if you release the license for all the FS clients ( = no more backup possible) then they would not be counted anymore, while you could backup them using VSA. 

It may depend on the time it would take you to migrate all this, as you should be able to go a little beyond your license limit for a few days. Then maybe those ‘few days’ would be enough.

But let’s see the feedback from Vaulters :wink:  

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Thanks…...yes only this volume model, no VM license.
Actual we have 98 % used from 77 TB.
I know that we can oversize to 110 %.

OK, then i will wait for another answer :-)

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

It might also be worth to ask your Commvault account manager for a license conversion.

They could convert your current 77TB license (or keep a few TB of volume, if necessary), let’s say used by 200 VMs, to just 210VM. 

Then no matter the size of the VM, you could be more comfortable. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Dennis 

You also have another option in the meantime.

Once you migrate this server from FS to VM backups, you’re correct, your capacity consumption will increase to include the new data as it will be a new client (for the VM) and this will be as considered new data.

However, if you disable activity on the Windows FS client/subclient, this will exclude that capacity from the license calculation.

No new backup jobs will be performed, and existing jobs will age out according your days and cycles retention rules.

Thanks,

Stuart