CCMigration - CS Client is in the list of Client when importing

• 13 September 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8
  • Commvault Certified Expert
  • 36 replies

Hi, 

I am doing a CC Migration and need to migrate a few clients at the time. I have done this a few times before but I cannot remember the CS Client turning up in the list of Clients during the import in the target Commcell. 

I cannot find this described or explained in the documentation. 

• Is this expected behaviour? 
  • I need to be sure there is no impact on the source Commcell that must remain operational as this is a large production Commcell.  

Both Commcells are 11.20.67

/Patrik

icon

Best answer by Stuart Painter 14 September 2021, 07:18

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@Patrik , @Mike Struening 

CCM Auth code is like a switch, once you have obtained an auth code for a Commcell, it flips the switch and enables the CCM feature in that Commcell permanently.

So CCM auth code to enable the feature in any Commcell is a one time task for that Commcell.

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/5990_enabling_commcell_migration_and_global_repository_cell_grc_on_commserve_computer.html

• Obtain separate authentication codes for the source and the destination CommCells. The authentication code is required to enable the feature.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

If you aren’t actually pulling anything back (restoring out of place?), then you may not need to migrate, but all CCMs will require an auth code, if that makes sense.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

The Clients will be registered in the target Commcell and backed up there. We will decomission the old Commcell once everything is migrated to the new Commcell and all old data has expired. We just need a simple routine for migrating back in case anyone would require restore of historical data. 

When requesting the authcode the web-form asked only for one Commcell and support never asked any questions about target and/or source !? Are you sure both require an authcode?  

/Patrik

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

You do have to request the authentication code for the source and destination CommServe to be able to export and import the metadata.

If the imported clients are not going to be registered against the destination CommServe, you will be able to restore their data from the source CommCell, there is no need to migrate clients back.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I would expect so.  As far as I know, every CCM will require an auth code.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Thanks Mike, appreciate it.

Would you also know if I need to request the CCM authorize code for the source Commcell if I want to be able to move a migrated client back again. This may be required for restores of historical data as we do not plan to migrate or access that in the new Commcell as it is only short retention data.  

I have applied the authorize code on the target CC.  

/Patrik

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Confirmed, the CS showing up is normal!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I’m 99% sure this is normal (you likely have a FS agent or MA installed on the CS) but like you, I want to be 100% sure.  I have asked internally to make sure since it’s been a while since I’ve done one, myself!