Solved

CommServe Database dont generate .dmp

• 2 September 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4

Hello Commvault Community, 

I noticed a problem at the client, where when trying to generate a dump of the CommServe database, it does not generate it correctly. A file with the .bak extension is generated in its place.

I would like to ask for help in solving the problem, it is a key element in environmental recovery (DR).

Thanks for help,
Regards
Kamil

icon

Best answer by Kamil 2 September 2021, 15:55

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @Kamil , thanks for the note!  Are you looking at the initial staging location, or where the Commserve is configured to save the file (within control Panel)?

I looked internally at our cases and the only mention of saving as a .bak file comes from backing up the database directly in SQL.

As per BOL, it should be a dmp, so any context you can provide should help:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/essential/107613_performing_disaster_recovery_dr_backup.html

Thanks!

Userlevel 4

Hi @Mike Struening 

I was able to find the cause of the problem.

It turned out that DR_Backup itself was saving correctly, and the problem only occurred when generating logs by the selected "Scrub Log Files" option, which masked the CommServe database dump and changed the file extension to .bak.

An additional element recognizable for this situation is that "Masked" is added to the file name before the original CommServe name and the file name looks like this:

"Masked_CommServeName.bak"

Anyway, thank you for your reaction and help :)

Regards,
Kamil

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

That’s great!  thanks for sharing it (and marking the Best Answer :sunglasses: )