Solved

Commserve Server OS Upgrade

• 25 March 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

Hi,

I am looking to run an in-place upgrade on the operating system on our Commserve Server from 2008R2 to 2012.  I have cloned our commserve server and tested this out but getting few issues after upgrade has completed.

Before running the upgrade i made sure all CV services/Jobs were stopped.  Also stopped the SQL services.

I get the following issues:
The "Commvault Communications Service" and "Commvault Server Event Manager" services do not startup.  These seem to continually try to start then stops again.  All other services start fine.
Also i was looking to run a repair on the install but it saying "unfinished installation detected".
Has anyone came across issues like this?

icon

Best answer by Steven503 25 March 2021, 14:32

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi Steven,

I would suggest checking the CVD.log and EvMgrS.log in the log Files directory to see what’s happening when the services try and start.

It may be worth running a repair/re-install of the software and see if that helps.

Best Regards,

Michael

Badge +2

Hi Michael,

I managed to run a repair and it looks to have fixed the issue.

Thanks

Steven

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Steven503 

The unfinished installation is an issue that really needs to be resolved before you can proceed further. We won’t know without checking install.log, DatabaseUpgrade.log and potentially UpdateInfo.log to understand where the previous installation was interrupted.

As @MichaelCapon mentions, CVD.log and EvMgrS.log should identify the reasons why those services are failing to start.

There may be an issue with SQL Services bringing the SQL databases online that mean CVD and EvMgrS are unable to establish a connection to the CommServ database and then those services are stopped.

If there is a SQL issue, SQL ERRORLOG log files may reveal the cause - this could be some authentication issue on the cloned machine if security has been changed during the OS upgrade.

Rather than in-place OS upgrade, it may be a cleaner and simpler approach to use Commserve Hardware Refresh process instead:
CommServe Upgrade with Hardware Refresh: Overview

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Ah, I see you have already resolved the issue with a successful repair - glad to hear your Commserve is up and running again, even if it is a clone for testing :wink:

Thanks,

Stuart

Badge

I had update the commvault but some what problem that the services Commvault Job manage and Commvault media & library service not starting

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@B G Shirke , are you having a similar issue?  If so, let me know the details and I’ll spawn off a new thread to better track your issue.