Solved

Commvault exceeding the allowable capacity

• 25 February 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello,

My commvault is over capacity(license), and i need to release space.
i already checked the retention of all backups and it´s ok, and SP and schedule is ok.

i run the data verification to check what backup data i can remove and release space.

The license reset has already been done 6x.

Does anyone have any help?

icon

Best answer by Fernando Souza 26 February 2021, 18:54

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

In attach report of DDB Verification.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

@Fernando Souza Used license doesen’t have anything to do with the retention, it’s all about the fronten full backups. Run a Backup summary report with just FULL’s and calculate from there, use last full backup for each client.

Only way of getting under license capacity usage, is to unregister the license for some clients, those won’t be backed up after thouhgh.

Only way out to keep all clients backed up is to increse licensed capacity.

BR

Henke

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi Fernando, thank you for the question.

I agree with @Henke, license consumption is for Front End Terabytes (FET) or Application Size, basically the amount of data protected on each of the clients, not the amount of backup data in retention.

License Summary report will show license consumption per client and subclient as license consumption is calculated on the last full backup per subclient.

You will need to validate per client and check that consumption is appropriate and expected.

You can make changes to content or subclient status according to your environment and data protection needs… or purchase an increase for the capacity license to accommodate the increase in FET.

Please note, license consumption is calculated at certain times and on certain events, so be aware if you make a configuration change license consumption may not update immediately, until:

• Data Aging job runs
  • Commserve services restart
  • 00:00 midnight background license consumption calculation

Likewise, if you make a change to a client content, license consumption will not update until a new full backup is completed.

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello,

@Stuart Painter and @Henke 

Full Backup Jobs Report:

The capacity used in the Fujitsu Server Rx (Appliance)

The capacity in the Commvault:

The question: 
How do i release this space in the Commvault to stay the same of Server Fujitsu?

The license is until 3Tb

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Fernando Souza , can you run a License Summary Report with Details enabled?

As @Stuart Painter and @Henke mentioned, License Capacity has nothing to do with the space used on your library (or the retention settings).

The only thing License Capacity cares abut is the Front End data size for the latest Full backup for all enabled subclients.

the License Summary report will show you each of those Full backups that ‘count’, so you can look for discrepancies:

Some common reasons:

• Each client is slightly bigger, and you simply need to acquire more capacity
  • One or more subclients have grown in size due to more data on the server (i.e. someone added another hard drive/mount path, or increased the data on that server)
  • A problematic backup was much larger than usual, and ou simply need to run a newer one

Seeing the report will help us figure out which of the above is the issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@Fernando Souza License Summary Report will show capacity license consumption for each client.

If you have a client that appears to consume more license than there is actual data on the server, please check the date of the last full backup. If a full backup has not been run for a while, running a new full will capture the actual application size on the client and update license consumption accordingly.

For example, if a large client had a full backup a year ago and since then incremental and synthetic full backups have been run (depending on configuration), application size may have increased whereas data on the client may not or potentially may have reduced. Running a new full (not synthetic) will update application size and license consumption accordingly.

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Stuart Painter @Mike Struening @Henke 

another doubt, if i create a VSA server and point some backups over there, it reduces the size occupied in the license?

or these backups by VSA are only for VMs backups?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hello @Stuart Painter @Mike Struening @Henke 

another doubt, if i create a VSA server and point some backups over there, it reduces the size occupied in the license?

or these backups by VSA are only for VMs backups?

@Fernando Souza , these are excluded only if you apply the CPU Sockets on Hypervisor Hosts license key.  Then, Virtual Server Agent jobs do not count toward capacity.

For more details see CPU Sockets on Hypervisor Hosts.

The above information was pulled from this document:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.22/essential/6911_backups_in_capacity_calculation.html

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello Guys, solved this problem,

Commvault support acceed environment and disable and enable backup, after that automatically run data aging and reduce the space. 
thanks.