Commvault Feature Release 11.23 is out.

Badge +15

Commvault Feature Release 11.23 is out and here are some of the capabilities within this release;

Newsletter: https://documentation.commvault.com/11.23/assets/new_features/newsletters/Newsletter_11.23_External.pdf

Feature Release 11.23 Documentation Page: https://documentation.commvault.com/11.23/expert/133535_feature_release_1123.html

Complete Backup And Recovery

• Email Alerts for Client Computers That Might Miss or Might Have Missed the SLA
  • For Azure, Specify the Disk Type for the Restored Virtual Machine
  • Automatically Retire Laptops That Are Offline for a Specific Length of Time

Complete: Manage New Workloads

• Granular Restores for MongoDB Collections and Databases

Complete: Protect Virtual Environments

• Replicate Google Cloud Platform Instances Across Regions
  • Live Recovery of Virtual Machines for Hyper-V
  • Convert Virtual Machines from Nutanix AHV to VMware

Journey To The Cloud

• Indexing Version 2 for Amazon Hypervisors
  • Convert Virtual Machine Instances from Amazon to GCP
  • Convert Virtual Machines from Azure Stack Hub to Azure
  • For Azure, Specify the Availability Zone for the Restored VM

Modern Infrastructures

• Universal Command Center
  • Change the Location of the Index Log Cache Directory
  • Migrate HyperScale 1.5 Storage Pools to HyperScale X
  • Manage Objects Using the Commvault Terraform Module
  • Create Instant Clones of Database Snapshots with Hitachi Vantara CCIEngines and HPE OEM Engines

Understand And Activate Data

• Configure File Content Indexing for eDiscovery in the Command Center
  • Archive Files Using File Storage Optimization Dashboards

Thanks

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Exciting!

I have three questions/observations:

1. Can you use the "Automatically Retire Laptops That Are Offline for a Specific Length of Time” enhancement only in combination with laptop clients? Why not make it available generally for types of clients? 
  2. It appears alert "Email Alerts for Client Computers That Might Miss or Might Have Missed the SLA" can be configured through the CommCell console alone. The weird and strange thing about it is that plans can be configured only from Command Center, and this alert is related to SLA status which can be observed only through Command Center but as said to configure dit you will have to use the CommCell console. This doesn't make sense….
  3. In extend to that it appears all recent alerts that were added to the product are organized in the CommCell console alert section in a categorization called custom alerts. None of them can be configured via Command Center. I find this really odd, so when can we expect these alerts to be configured from Command Center as well?

​​​

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

With Feature Release 11.23 is it possible to backup & restore MS Teams! https://documentation.commvault.com/11.23/essential/134545_add_app_for_teams_using_express_configuration_option.html

I installed FR23 but is not possible to deploy a teams app! 

Is this a bug?

Thanks and best regards,
Andreas

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks, @dude !  FYI, we are working on a blog to showcase all of the features.  In the meantime, I’ll answer and track any updates here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Onno van den Berg , good questions….I’ll look into those for you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Onno van den Berg , regarding the Retirement options for non-laptops, how would you envision that working?  Based on the methodology, this is intended so that laptops (which are by nature not always online) that are not in use are handled automatically.  For actual Server clients, I’m not sure how often this would occur (and how dangerous it could be).  I would expect that you’d want to know if a server has been offline and not have it deconfigure without your awareness.  Let me know how you see this working out and I can bring it up as a possible CMR.

Retirement Description:

• You can retire laptops that have not communicated with the CommServe server for a specific length of time, and that are considered to be offline. You can configure a time period that offline laptops are retired after, and then you can configure a time period that the retired offline laptops are deleted after. You can configure the time periods at the CommCell environment, company and laptop plan levels.
  • When an offline laptop is retired, it is deleted if it does not have any associated backup data. If it does have associated backup data, then the offline laptop is left in a deconfigured state for future restores.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @ak2 !  Before we look further, can you confirm the system requirements are set up as per the documentation?  There’s certain port requirements to create the App:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.23/essential/131851_system_requirements_for_teams.html

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi @Mike Struening ,
the “Office 365” & “Index Store” Package is installed. I configured Exchange Online, SharePoint Online and OneDrive Backup successfully.  But the Teams App icon is missing!  

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@ak2 , can you confirm all of this is opened up?  We may need a support case for this otherwise:

To use the express configuration, which automatically creates the Teams app and access nodes, you must open the following ports on the Web Server that is pointed to the Command Center.

Environment

Source

Destination

Protocol

Port

URLs

Default regions

Access Nodes (Teams)

MS graphs

HTTPS

80, 443

https://www.office.com

https://outlook.office365.com/Powershell-LiveID

https://login.microsoftonline.com

https://graph.microsoft.com

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Onno van den Berg , regarding the Retirement options for non-laptops, how would you envision that working?  Based on the methodology, this is intended so that laptops (which are by nature not always online) that are not in use are handled automatically.  For actual Server clients, I’m not sure how often this would occur (and how dangerous it could be).  I would expect that you’d want to know if a server has been offline and not have it deconfigure without your awareness.  Let me know how you see this working out and I can bring it up as a possible CMR.

Retirement Description:

• You can retire laptops that have not communicated with the CommServe server for a specific length of time, and that are considered to be offline. You can configure a time period that offline laptops are retired after, and then you can configure a time period that the retired offline laptops are deleted after. You can configure the time periods at the CommCell environment, company and laptop plan levels.
  • When an offline laptop is retired, it is deleted if it does not have any associated backup data. If it does have associated backup data, then the offline laptop is left in a deconfigured state for future restores.

@Mike Struening these days the vast majority of the servers workloads will be virtualized. this offers the ability to query the infrastructure to understand if a VM is still present, so this ability can be used for VMs to perform additional safety checks if really required. if a server doesn't have any backup job in retention anymore and it is offline for 30+ days than the chance of that VM coming back is limited. backup. now say you have a VM that was turned off for more than 30 days and had no backup history so from a Commvault perspective eligible for deletion. if the VM is turned off than Commvault could just see that the VM is still present on the infrastructure and could decide to leave it unharmed. 

in case the VM came back alive than in that case you could think that it will be rediscovered automatically and additionally Commvault could even perform a cross-check between its own state and the infrastructure. 

my colleague brought up the same suggestion to use the underlying infrastructure to remove the duplicate VMs issue from the face of the earth see: 

I'm curious to hear the outcome of your investigation regarding the other two questions related to alerts! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Onno van den Berg , thave you looked at this feature?

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.21/expert/32209_vm_archiving_for_vmware.html

Gives the same functionality.

Regarding the reporting questions, I have some thread activity, but nothing to give you just yet :-)

edit: added link to similar feature.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey all! the promised blog is now live.  Fuill of more details and some zingers :sweat_smile:

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Is Dynamics 365 support going to be live soon? It was visible during the demonstration of the new Teams App in the FR11.22 video.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Is Dynamics 365 support going to be live soon? It was visible during the demonstration of the new Teams App in the FR11.22 video.

@Anthony.Hodges , I sent this up to our PM team for an answer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Onno van den Berg , thave you looked at this feature?

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.21/expert/32209_vm_archiving_for_vmware.html

Gives the same functionality.

Regarding the reporting questions, I have some thread activity, but nothing to give you just yet :-)

edit: added link to similar feature.

Hi @Mike Struening well actually I'm not talking about VM archiving. Its about automated deployments in where applications are redeployed from scratch on a frequent basis. Additionally VM archiving is only available on VMware and we are running a lot of workloads in public cloud.

Any luck on the search for feedback regarding my question related to alerts? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Onno van den Berg , initial reply was the the information is shown in CC in the SLA column in protect list (indicating that it’s going to miss and reason for why).  I asked if this was coming as an actual alert in CC as I assumed this is what you wanted (though let me know if you are ok with this solution).

Back to your other request :grin:

As always, you bring up valid points!  Let me see if I can get a CMR for you, my friend!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Mike Struening but showing it in a UI is totally different that sending out an alert to for example monitoring. I hope development understands that people are not going to look at CC the entire day ;-)

So where is my ability to define an alert. Getting a bit frustrated that they do not look at the bigger picture here and delver inconsistency, The core is only part of Command Center and now for alerting we can only set it up from the CommCell console….. 

So please feel free to create the CMRs and if yo do please make sure they are assigned to our company so we can track them as well through the cloud portal. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I agree with you 100%.  A visual in a gui is not the same as an alert in function or purpose!

I’ll keep you posted.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@Anthony.Hodges  Dynamics 365 support will be added soon. I don't have an exact ETA as of now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Mike Struening any update on the remarks about the alert definitions not being available in Command Center?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Followed up again, my friend!

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Mike Struening did you manage to get an answer? otherwise I will open a CMR for it but really dislike to do it because we already have sooooo many CMR's outstanding and because the lead time for CMR's is lengthy. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Onno van den Berg still chasing it, my friend (literally just replied as well)!

I’ll stick on it for you :laughing: