Solved

Commvault Maintenance Release silent install

Badge +4

Is there a way we can perform silent install (without any human intervention) for the Maintenance release) as we already have our main package already installed and we need it for few of the Linux servers due to bug in password encryption in cassandra.

icon

Best answer by Commvault Marcus 17 June 2021, 22:02

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hello @Sunny48 ,

Once the software cache has been populated with the correct  release and it is valid,commvault has also an automatic update schedule and you can modify that job according to your needs 

This is the way

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

I did a quick check on one of my VMs.

/exportfs/cvinstaller/11.22/linux-x8664/LooseUpdates

# ./InstallUpdates --help
Using instance installer /opt/commvault/installer/newinstall:v1186989
usage: install [-h] [--instance INSTANCE] [-Local] [-autoupdate] [-silent]
[-vm VM] [-rmvInterSectingDiag] [-restartMacFinder]

Welcome to Unix update installer

optional arguments:
-h, --help show this help message and exit
--instance INSTANCE dummy arg
-Local dummy arg
-autoupdate Auto apply updates
-silent apply updates silently
-vm VM This argument is specified in case of push/ silent
removal of updates, for specifying the Instance being
updated
-rmvInterSectingDiag This argument is specified in case of push/ silent
removal of updates, to remove intersecting diag
updates in case there are any
-restartMacFinder This argument is specified in case of push/ silent
removal of updates, to restart Mac Finder plugin
# ./InstallUpdates -silent

Badge +2

Hello @Sunny48 ,

Once the software cache has been populated with the correct  release and it is valid,commvault has also an automatic update schedule and you can modify that job according to your needs 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Here is another guide with screenshots if it helps!

https://commvaultondemand.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ODLL/pages/1512735018/Post%2BInstallation%2BTasks%2B-%2BCommCell%2BConsole#PostInstallationTasks-CommCell%C2%AEConsole-ConfigureSoftwareCacheandUpdates

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks for quick response

I am aware of pushing the update from the commcell console (software cache). The reason we are looking for silent install is commvault installation is automated and does not require any human intervention for us. whenever we deploy the EC2 it gets installed as part of the userdata script. We are trying the same think for MR.

what I am looking for a simple command to update the MR silently something like this silent_install -p

not sure why we dont have silent_install for MR

Generally, since the software is deployed on the client, you can simply remotely manage the update packages. If you prefer you can bundle the updates with a customized installer package, but that does mean updating your custom installer each time.

Is there a reason why you can’t simply push updates once the machine is installed? The use case is not clear.

Adding @bish and @RMcG - they may have some ideas … 

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

I did this for one of our customers. The software is mounted of NFS to the client in question an a wrapper script calls silent_install -p <path to xml file>.

I like this type of approach because an update of the software to the most recent feature release is easy  and no customer install packages have to be created. This procedure was is used to deploy Linux/Unix FS and various database agents and can be combined with starting an install updates  job after the silent_install finishes. However the procedure is currently not fully documented from my end to be published to the Commvault Community.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Sunny48 , following up to see if @Commvault Marcus ‘ reply was helpful (or if you have more questions).

Badge +4

Thanks for quick response

I am aware of pushing the update from the commcell console (software cache). The reason we are looking for silent install is commvault installation is automated and does not require any human intervention for us. whenever we deploy the EC2 it gets installed as part of the userdata script. We are trying the same think for MR.

what I am looking for a simple command to update the MR silently something like this silent_install -p

not sure why we dont have silent_install for MR

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

So, if your package state is extracted it’s a simple case for Windows of setup.exe /installupdates /silent

Let us know of the specific OS and package state as I’m sure there is more to the scenario that I've simply glazed over.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

So, if your package state is extracted it’s a simple case for Windows of setup.exe /installupdates /silent

Let us know of the specific OS and package state as I’m sure there is more to the scenario that I've simply glazed over.

In this case its linux :grin:

Badge +4

@bish I am looking for Linux OS Linux_x8664 , we have our software repo in artifactory and during the EC2 build commvault software gets installed using ansible as part of userdata script. The base version that is getting installed is CV11.20.3. Due to error in password decryption for cassandra, commvault support recommended to upgrade the client software version to CV11.20.32
Requirement is only for 80 Servers (in cassandra cluster) to upgrade to 11.20.32

Badge +4

@Commvault Marcus this will only work if you have Future Release. AS mentioned there is no silent_install in 

Maintenance Release

here is the extracted tar file for Commvault_Maintenance_11_20_32_linux-x8664.tar

Config
InstallFileCheckSum.xml
InstallFileCheckSum.xml.description
InstallUpdates
linux-glibc2.3-x86_64
timestamp.txt
UpdateINI

let me know how do we do silent install for it

Badge +4

also not sure how the questions has been marked as solved .. which I am not completely convinced with solution

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Sunny48 , unmarked it as answered :nerd:  I tagged Marcus for his feedback.