Solved

commvault vs azure backup comparison

• 20 March 2021
  • 8 replies

Badge +1

Hi All. I need a help on commvault backup. Can someone list me few differences between using commvault backup and azure backup? Why do we need to select commvault backup over azure provided backup for azure environment.

icon

Best answer by Lorne Oickle 22 March 2021, 21:15

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

hi,

Also look at this post:  

Why Commvault for Office 365? | Community

This is not a complete answer on your question, as this is more about o365, but an help you a bit already.

Badge +1

Hi @Bart - Thanks. But am looking for comparison  between commvault backup and azure backup. Why do we need to select commvault backup over azure backup for azure provided services? Commvault positives?

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

@Prabhu : I know, that’s why I said that it doesn’t answer your question :)

I’m also interested in the differences :)

Badge +1

Sure @Bart . Let's see if we get the response from other experts :)

Badge +15

@Prabhu you do not have to use Commvault. You are asking the wrong question and not looking at the right place.

I do not know if you are a IT guy / or someone from a purchase department or what, but the real question you should be asking yourself and your IT folks is : What problem am I trying to solve?

There is no such a thing as a one size fits all and so with the answer to the question above you can explore vendors such as Commvault/Azure/Veaam etc etc etc to see what they offer capability wise, support and price.

Having said that, here are some of the Commvault Capabilities: https://www.commvault.com/resources/commvault-complete-data-protection-datasheet

Here is your Commvault vs Azure Comparison

Good luck 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi,

There are a number of areas where Commvault provides value over cloud native solutions.  When comparing it’s good to have an understanding on what your requirements are in order to be more specific. 

For example:

• Number of VMs
  • Size of workloads
  • Type of applications, IaaS, PaaS, SaaS
  • Retention requirements
  • RPO & RTO
  • One product with a single UI

Although since I don’t have any of that information I’ll try to help by providing some examples of where we can help. 

Amount of Data:  Commvault uses deduplication to store backup data in the cloud storage tier best fit for its use-case.  Short-term data is stored in Cool storage and long-term data can be stored in Archive storage for very low costs.  Cloud native tools like Azure Backup do not utilize deduplication or Archive storage, which drastically increases costs for customers.  Numerous industries require businesses to retain data for multiple years, sometimes forever, due to compliance requirements. 

Location:  Native cloud tools help move data into the cloud but not easily out of it.  Commvault provides automatic conversion\migration of the most common hypervisors to the cloud and out of the cloud with no cost or complex scripts.  More and more businesses are using hybrid-cloud or multi-cloud to protect again outages or for disaster recovery scenarios.  Cloud native tools do not offer this.

Applications:  Similar to location, cloud native tools offer a solution specific to the application without taking into account everything else being protected.  No deduplication, storage tiering, out-of-cloud migration or restores, etc.  Which means that you’re locked into that service once you’ve started using it. Commvault provides out-of-place restore for most applications to allow for data movement if required.

Retention: Commvault provides you the tools to easily retain data for as long as you need, as many copies as needed, multi-cloud, multi-region, on-premises, as well as multiple locations at the same time.  Cloud native tools only provide a single cloud location to store backups with the option for a replicated copy in another region, which doubles the cost of storage.

RPO & RTO:  Cloud native solutions allow you to protect your data with varying frequency.  For example, Azure Backup only allows one scheduled backup per day.  If you require more than that you may use up to three manual backups per day.  With Commvault you have an automated schedule based on your requirements.  Selectively or automatically group workloads and schedule protection based on policies with snapshot, agent based, and data export for applications. Use a combination of all protection options based on your use-case and policies.

Granular Restores:  Azure backup requires you to restore the VM or attach a VM disk to another VM and manually browse and copy the files\applications.  Commvault provides granular search features to browse data, extract it from the backup, and restore in-place or out-of-place.  This greatly improves the efficiency of your RTO.

Reduce time and bandwidth:  Moving data into, out, or between clouds and you’ll appreciated the massive data reduction size with deduplication.  Why continuously send the same blocks when you’ve already sent it once!  We’ve already established native cloud solutions do not help with moving your data out of the cloud, but if you must get the data out, why incur huge egress fees by transferring the data fully hydrated.  With deduplication the egress fees are reduced as well as the time required to move the data.

Private Cloud:  Azure Backup does not support the Azure Stack family of products, which includes Azure Stack Hub, Azure Stack HCI, and Azure Stack Edge.  All three are supported by Commvault and allow movement of data between all three as well as to the cloud and on-premises.

Commvault customer:  If you’re already a Commvault customer you already have access to all our wonderful features as well as our excellent resources  :-)   It’s the same tool you use for on-premises that easily extends to the cloud.  With Azure Backup you need to learn a new tool and manage data silos. 

Hopefully a few of these points will help with your decisions...but if it doesn’t, please reach out to me and I would be more than happy to discuss further.

Take care...Lorne

loickle@commvault.com

Badge +1

Thanks @Lorne Oickle . That was a awesome explanation :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Lorne Oickle is pretty darn awesome!