Solved

Connecting an existing client from one Commcell to another Commcell - changes required?

• 27 August 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

We are putting in a  new commcell and starting completely fresh and don’t want to import anything from the old but we will be backing up the same clients as the old commcell. 

Are any client configuration changes (client Win registry, config files etc) required if the new commcell wants to backup the client which was previously backed up by another commcell? 

The old commcell domain will remain for a while for restores and the conversion will be staggered.  The idea is if there are changes required on client they will have to flipped back to the original for restores.

The old commcell agent software is reasonably up to date and we trying to avoid installing two agents on the same client.   

Thanks Jim

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 26 October 2021, 15:44

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @JM- 

Usually you would perform a CommCell migration to move clients over to a new CommCell. You can’t actually adjust the clients themselves outside of this operation to point at a new CommCell. During the migration it will take care of any updates to the installation (certificates, reg keys etc.) when pointing to the new CS.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/5085_use_cases_and_operations_for_commcell_migration.html

I hope I understood your question correctly?

The alternative would be to uninstall the clients and reinstall them on the new Cell - both operations can be done remotely. It will clean up all the config so you wont have any conflict when reinstalling.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Thanks for that. Its going to be a least 1-2 months away before I can test it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Not a problem!  I’ll revisit this thread in a month (and then 2) to see if you’ve had a chance to check, barring any sooner update from you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @JM- , following up a little shy of the 1 month mark.  Wanted to see if you had a chance to test it (and if not yet, that’s fine)!

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @JM- , hope your week is starting off well!

Let me know if you’ve been able to test the scenario yet (and the results).

Thanks!

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Went for installing another agent on the target clients. 

Lesson learnt so far : 

1. The second agent must be a “package” install, the only agent that can be pushed from the commserv is the first installation.
  2. Use a different port for the new agent.  8403 was the original, second install assigned 8410 
  3. The CV admin will have to enter the Commserv credentials - all package installs require this. 
  4. The second installation will automagically assign a new installation dir if it detects a another - check & be careful with this one. 
  5. Done, all good in the second commcell.  Restores using from the old commcell not tested, the old is managed by another company. 

Found one problem  - the downloader gave use an incomplete package for Linux when we downloaded a package that matched Commserve CV version (11.24.3).  Downloaded the “latest” it worked.   

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Those are some very clever observations; appreciate the detailed information!  I’m going to look into ensuring they are all documented (and if not, get that fixed)!  I had no idea about the first point and some of the others.

On your new discovery, you downloaded via the gui and selected a version, got incomplete, then retried with latest and all worked?

Can you share the downloadsoftware.log excerpts from this time period?  I might spawn this into a new thread, though we need to dig a bit regardless.

Thanks!

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

All worked when selected “latest version”. 

Logs, sorry all gone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Looks like we already have those documented here:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/1842_considerations_for_installing_multi_instances.html

However, you wouldn’t have seen them in the other link for CommCell migration.

Since the logs are all gone, I’m going to assume that the initial download was incomplete.  Could be something else, though without evidence, we can’t know for sure.

Let me know if you have further questions/concerns or if we should consider this solved.

Thanks!