Solved

Content filtering in OneDrive (office365V2)

• 17 February 2021
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hi,

We’re shortly rolling out OneDrive for Business in Prod and I am looking for the possibility to filter contents in Commvault so that only certain data gets backed up:

• exclude files / file types
  • exclude folders
  • only backup certain folders

I will need to deploy OneDrive backup at the time of the roll-out of the service. We are currently running 11.20 but I was told at the Webinar for 11.22 that this is possible in 11.22 (office365V2).

In order to test, I installed a separate instance and connected it to our Azure UAT. I have the list of users discovered but cannot find the option to filter contents over the Admin Console. Moreover, the Office365 OneDrive App is not visible in Comcell Console at all.

Am I missing something?

Thank you,

Zoltan

icon

Best answer by Keerthana SP 24 February 2021, 12:20

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @Zoltan , thanks for the post!

I’m looking at our 11.22 documentation specifically and not seeing anything about filtering One Drive in O365.  Let me ask around and see what I can find.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hi Mike,

For info, this is the answer I received during the last webinar on FR22:

“Hi Zoltan - The OneDrive V2 agent being introduced in 11.22 can be associated to a new type of plan an Office 365 plan. With this type of plan you can now see capabilities to put filters in place for OneDrive.”

Badge

Office365 OneDrive App creation is only supported from Admin Console.

OneDrive V2 Documentation: https://documentation.commvault.com/11.22/essential/130371_onedrive_for_business.html

Creating a Plan for OneDrive for Business O365:https://documentation.commvault.com/11.22/essential/130899_creating_plan_for_onedrive_for_business_o365.html

Office 365 plans specify how long deleted files and folders are retained in the backup. You can also use Office 365 plans to filter items from backups.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Zoltan got some feedback for you as well.  There are filters, but on the Configuration policy, not the client.  Check this out as well:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.22/expert/28885_creating_exchange_archiving_policies.html

Can you take a look and see if you have the same options as this screenshot?

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hi Rajesh and Mike,

“You can also use Office 365 plans to filter items from backups” is exactly what I was looking for. It’s well hidden in the plan.

I suppose more users will try to find this info in the docs in the future. This option could be described in a bit more in detail at the OneDrive section.

Kind regards,

Zoltan

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Rajesh and Mike,

“You can also use Office 365 plans to filter items from backups” is exactly what I was looking for. It’s well hidden in the plan.

I suppose more users will try to find this info in the docs in the future. This option could be described in a bit more in detail at the OneDrive section.

Kind regards,

Zoltan

Absolutely!  I’ll make sure the Documentation folks see this and address to make it easier to find.

@Seema Ghai .

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

HI @Zoltan

Thanks for your feedback. We will update the documentation to include more information about the filtering option. And will also work on the findability issue.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hi,

I ran some tests and found that I couldn’t include folders, only exclude them.

Is there a way to specify which folder (and its subfolders) one wants to back up?

At the file level, both include and exclude exists.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi,

I ran some tests and found that I couldn’t include folders, only exclude them.

Is there a way to specify which folder (and its subfolders) one wants to back up?

At the file level, both include and exclude exists.

Zoltan, did you try this through the Command Center?  the screenshot I put a few posts up has both Include and Exclude.

If that’s not working right, let me know.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Mike,

That’s for the files, which works well. As for the folders, it looks like this:

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Appreciate the screenshot.  I believe we will backup everything NOT filtered, though you can also filter files or include ONLY specific files.

Let me confirm this for you.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Is there a possibility to add “Include Folder” so that only specific folder(s) and their content is backed up? Do you (and when) plan to add this option?

I suppose the API supports this. :)

Use case:

This would actually help us to back up the user’s “personal” network drives synchronized to OneDrive from our File Servers and not all the content the user keeps in the cloud.

Badge

Option for ‘Include Folder’ is OFF by default and is behind a key 'Console.enableOneDriveIncludeFolder' in SP22. This option is ON by default from SP23.

Please enable the below additional setting: 

Name: enableOneDriveIncludeFolder

Category: CommservDB.Console

Type: BOOLEAN

Value: true

Once the above option is set, login to the adminconsole:

1. Create Office 365 plan from Plans page / User can also edit existing plan.
  2. In OneDrive Panel, there is option to include folder . Edit the panel.
  3. In the include folder option, user can enter the folder name or regular expression to match the folder name.  Example: ‘Folder001’ ; *fol*,Folder* etc.
  4. Associate this plan to onedrive user [Users tab in O365 app -> select user -> Actions -> Manage -> Change Plan] and run backup.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Perfect, thank you! :sunglasses:

Works like a charm.

Zoltan

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Zoltan , some good news for you.  I brought this to our dev team and the option will be on by default in FR23!

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Great news, thank you @Mike Struening !

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi guys,

I’ve got a weird finding with file exclusions on V11.28.44

If I add the complete pathname (\OneDrive\<userid>\Directories\Filenname) to the file exclusion list, it is simply ignored / not honored.

If I add only the filename, that file is excluded everywhere found in the directory structure and for all users using the same plan !! (not wanted)

If I than remove the file exclusion from the Plan and run a new backup, the file is not added to the backup tasklist, even if it has never been backed up before.
Looks like the files once filtered, are automatically excluded until they are updated (modified).

Is there any option to exclude a specific file in a specific path for a specific user only ? (without creating individual Office Plans for each and every user)

best regards
Klaus