Solved

CV 9 linux client backs up with dedup disabled, fails with dedup enabled

• 25 February 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

I have a CV 9 Linux 2.6.9-101.0.0.0.1.ELsmp client trying to backup to a dedup storage policy, and I get this error message:

Error Code: [82:164]
Description: Failed to open Deduplication Database (DDB) please check network connectivity.

When I disable dedup for that client, the backup runs fine.

I have other Linux clients of a similar (albeit, not identical) “vintage” that have no problem deduping to the same storage policy. One difference is that this particular client is behind a firewall, and I’m wondering if this is somehow the issue… although I can’t understand why this would be the case.

We’d upgrade this environment if we could, knowing that CV 9 is not supported… but we can’t… so I’m asking this question here.

Any help is appreciated.

icon

Best answer by ShawnH 1 March 2021, 21:44

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hey Shawn,

Check and see where is the DDB hosted. Once you find the media agent that is hosting this specific DDB then create a firewall rule between your Linux client and that Media agent. This should help with network connectivity. From your scenario I believe DDB is not hosted on the same MA that backup goes.

Let us know if you need help configuring firewall rules.

Good Luck!

Badge +3

Thank you very much for your response!

In fact, the new DDB is hosted on the new media agent. The new MA is ybackup2, the new global DDB is SP_York_DDB_ybackup2 (which definitely points to ybackup2), and the dependent copy is SP_York_General_ybackup2.

I think a firewall rule is worth trying, and yes - I would appreciate help setting that up. Normally I let CV Support do it; I never know where or when to use “Restricted” or other such parameters.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

No problems! Then yeh definitely we need a FW rule between Client and ybackup2.

Let me quickly explain the terminology in version 9 firewall (I know they are a bit confusing :)).

Restricted means other end has access. Blocked means doesn’t have! Now if you have a network\firewall that allow traffic initiation in a certain direction only (let’s say from Client to MA) then we need a one way firewall rule. If firewall allows starting TCP session in both direction then a 2 way is fine. Using Blocked will create one way rule and using Restricted in both sides will create 2 way meaning both sides can start a session.

Now if I remember V9 GUI (been ages ago hahaha) you just need to do these:

1. From Client properties, Firewall tab, add ybackup2 with restricted. For Incoming port use 8600 (or another port that is allowed). Don’t worry about Outgoing tab.
  2. From ybackup2 properties, Firewall tab, add Linux Client with restricted. For Incoming port use 8600 (or another port that is allowed). Don’t worry about Outgoing tab.
  3. Right click on both MA and Client and push firewall configuration.
  4. Run a new backup

Please consider these:

• This is where your firewalled network allow traffic on  both directions otherwise on one side you need to use Blocked instead of Restricted.
  • Port 8600 or another port you ick needs to be open on the firewall side.

Let us know how you go.

Badge +3

Alireza,

Thank you very much for your help! I now have my client in the firewall backing up with dedup to ybackup2, the new media agent,

fwiw, I actually didn’t come back here to the forum - not at first - to see your expanded reply before I started “playing” with the firewall settings. I only read through the summary that came through via email, thinking that that was everything… But that was enough to get things working, so I’m happy about that… But now I’ll go through the rest of your detail and see what, if anything, I missed, and I’ll also file it away for future reference.

Again, thank you vey much!